Opinions or Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdotx

Reaction score
Hey people, well i have a 99 expo, it was my first vehicle, and i bought it in june of 07 for about $7,300. Up to about 6 months ago she was good to me, unfortunately i cannot say the same about myself. Since owning it i have never had a tune up, or oil change. So here is the problem(s) with it.

It has a knock in the engine, ive been told it was a piston so im lookin at buying a new engine. also when i turn my wheels, i have a horrible squeak also when going over bumps. Aamco lifted it and said my whole front end is shot. Its got a cracked oil pan or something because i havent been able to find the source of the leak. my starter seems to be going, and my battery is dead. Aside from changing the brakes or battery, this truck has had no work done mechanically ever, accept replacing a coil or two.:idiot:

I was young and dumb when i got it, i put a stereo in and the flowmaster muffler, and some rims. But never got it serviced. So when she broke down i went out and got a 2001 yukon. But its not the same...i miss the expo. My questions it for you guys, what should i do with it?, i would like to keep it. But with the price of getting it fixed would it be smarter to just buy a new one?. I really love my truck i know mistakes were made....i just dont know what to do at this point?, part it out, try and fix it or sell it as is?

Its got 197,000 miles on it and the trans seems to be ok, my mechanic told me i can get new brakes, rotors, battery, and a started and drive it like that for another 6 months to a year...but where? my overhead mileage screen tells me im getting 9 miles a gallon!:bawl: lol i am lost any opinions would be helpful thanks guys.

gharris129

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its an older truck and will require constant attention. I cant say what the knock is caused by and really that would be my biggest concern but overall any used truck will have issues and the issues you know of are usually easier to fix then the gremlins waiting to be diagnosed in the next truck. but like many other things its a value judgement. but i think of it this way 15k for a great used truck how awesome would my truck be if i dumed ten grand into it. these were 31 41 thousand dollars new and we are buying em for much less. So for me when i put 25 hundred into mine this year before i get mad i just think of what two fifty a month would buy me on a new truck.
yea it eats gas yea it has issues but with a lil love and help from the guys here you have a platform for the most bad ass truck in town for not a ton of money.

just my 2 cents

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well as you stated your neglect has been the root of all these issues. But the answer you are looking for can only come from you, and you alone. Your finances and will to do the work will dictate that. So, it all comes down to what you want to do with it.

OP
OP
sdotx

sdotx

Reaction score
well i dont know how to even do repairs myself. I mean im pretty hands on if i get some general instructions. like, my grille headlights and tail lights i all put in myself. But thats baby stuff compared to anything under the hood...but its just that i see these going for like 3,500 on craigslist everyday, and its like im gonna spend 4,000 to 4,500 on a jasper engine. Just an engine, and i can get get a whole (running) truck for less, switch engines, or just take out everything i put into mine.

So its either buy a used 2000 in the color i want which i cant afford to paint my 99, with a sunroof i dont have in my 99, and thats running. But chance it breaking down and being in the same boat as my 99. But whatever i do, im gonna keep my truck. It was one of the first things ive ever owned and i have a clean title with my name on it. I dont know how fixing it is gonna end up but its worth a shot.

thanks for the input guys, i just wish this 5.4 engine wasnt so expensive lol its gonna break the bank at the moment but it has to be done.

Knautical2001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a good place to take it, I had a 99 with the 5.4L and the dealership was going to charge me $4,000 total to put a new engine in it. I could have had it rebuilt for less though. I would shop around and see what others can do for you. Even though you can buy one on CL for 3500, that just means you are probably buying someone elses problems. Stick with the one you already know what the problems are. Once you put that money back into the truck, the truck will take care of you again. Just remember what you learned, don't neglect the truck or the service that needs to be done. Prioritize what NEEDS to be done and what you WANT to do.