Ouch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personal opinion - I don't take chances with with tires or wheels. If it is remotely questionable replace both. So in other words, when in doubt, throw it out! The tragedy that can happen at 70 MPH when a tire suddenly lets go is not worth the risk, particularly if my family is riding in the truck with me. Tires and wheels are cheap compared to the value of human life. It's not worth the gamble to save a few bucks.
But it's not a gamble, you gamble when you walk out the door.

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Shantheman,
You have heard from some people who don't think it's a big deal but there is no way to tell if the wheel IS compromised unless you have Xray vision. I know it's not cheap to replace the wheel and tire but you can't put a price on losing a family member. Consider your run in with a curb a lesson learned and don't put your family and yourself at risk.
I'm surprised that 07Navi didn't recommend using flex seal , safety pins and a hair net for added strength.

Blksmk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Spoken by a person who never did anything they regretted. Learn from and move on. A minor hiccup in the big picture!

I am confused. I want to take that as a positive note , because that's the way I view life. Half full not half empty. Go with the flow only make ripples in the pond if needed...

So I thank you

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Shantheman,
You have heard from some people who don't think it's a big deal but there is no way to tell if the wheel IS compromised unless you have Xray vision. I know it's not cheap to replace the wheel and tire but you can't put a price on losing a family member. Consider your run in with a curb a lesson learned and don't put your family and yourself at risk.
I'm surprised that 07Navi didn't recommend using flex seal , safety pins and a hair net for added strength.
I'm surprised you are so freaked out over nothing, it's just superficial damage, fill in the rubber, grind the wheel lip and yer' done. Novices always freak out over nothing...……..always, and then they start throwing money at it hoping is will go away,..lol. I would be broke if I threw money at every little thing that popped up.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it's not a gamble, you gamble when you walk out the door.

See that's where we differ, I'd throw out the tire and the wheel and buy new ones rather than risking a major blowout at highway speed with myself or my passengers. Money is of little value if you aren't around to spend it. I don't take unnecessary risks.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See that's where we differ, I'd throw out the tire and the wheel and buy new ones rather than risking a major blowout at highway speed with myself or my passengers. Money is of little value if you aren't around to spend it. I don't take unnecessary risks.
But it's not a risk. It was all explained earlier, read the whole thread.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get that some people would never feel safe on that tire due to it’s looks and if that’s the case with the OP then he should change it.
Like I stated before. People have different opinions on what is safe and what’s not. Like some people think it’s dangerous to own a gun. I personally think it’s unsafe not to own a gun. Unfortunately cell phones and navigation devices are more dangerous in a vehicle than that tire is. Once again just my opinion.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like I stated before. People have different opinions on what is safe and what’s not. Like some people think it’s dangerous to own a gun. I personally think it’s unsafe not to own a gun. Unfortunately cell phones and navigation devices are more dangerous in a vehicle than that tire is. Once again just my opinion.
I'm with you on the guns, if someone comes in at night saying please leave doesn't work.