overdrive off light on the shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whitehat

Reaction score
I have a 1997 EB with 130,000 miles. Last night when I got in and shifted into drive the overdrive off light came on. I pressed the button twice and it still stayed on! My biggest question was when the transmission was shifted into overdrive when the light indicated it was off. This is probably just a switch problem but I figured I would post a thread and get some input!!!!!!!!!!

Tibiko

Reaction score
Guys,
the O/D light has a dual role.
- to indicate that the OD is off
- TCIL - Transmission Control Indicator Light - if the light stays on or it flashes regardless of the OD switch position it indicates trouble with the transmission.
Is similar with the "check engine" light for the engine, but this is for tranny. Get it checked ASAP by a reputable garage that knows their automatics....

good luck

Tonya11

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a 2000 EB and we have had some similar problems but I will let you all decide. Our overdrive light was flashing and I too coundn't turn it off w/the push of the button. I took it to a local shop and they are telling me that we need a rebuilt trans. After several days of investigation & phone calls we are now being told the only reason the two mechanics are telling us we need a rebuilt is because they have neither the know how, or tools to repair the trans. Can anyone shed some light on this? Rebuilt or Repair???

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Find a trans shop to pull the codes the codes will be a P07xx
dont play games with regular mechanics rhat dont know squat
about transes

pogiboy69

Reaction score
first... find someone who knows the fords trannys, then get a qoute on repairing it. Compair the repair bill and that of a rebuilt one, best to go with the rebuild if its only going to cost under 30% more.

DaveS1955

Reaction score
I would first check to see if Ford has a TSB covering the issue.

I experienced a torque converter shutter when my 97 T-Bird would shift gears. Ford had a TSB out that said to change the trans fluid to Mercon V (synthetic). After the change the T-Bird has not had a shutter. The inital change occured 90,000 miles ago (with regular fluid changes every 30K).

The point is to check the TSBs before spending a mountain of money on a trans. The fix may be something simple. This point was again driven home with my 2003 idling and hard starting problems. After a mound of money for IACs etc... the fix was heat shrink around an electrical lead that was intermitently shorting to ground.

In the long run, it may be cheaper to pay a reputable Ford dealer an hour of labor for a good diagnosis than to go with an independent trans shop. After the good diagnosis decide where to go for the recommended repairs.

Later

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Getting the codes pulled is the first step.
This is the diagnosis...then we can help you figure out what is wrong with it.