P0020 code engine runs fine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josephmast94

Reaction score
So I have a 2005 expedition that got a new/remaned engine in it about 20,000 miles ago. Has been nothing but issues since I bought the car. Most recent is CEL on and showing p0020 code. At one time it also showed a p0021 but not anymore. Best I can tell it runs just fine. It first came on while pulling 5000# boat through the mountains of NC and Tennessee, it did not lose any power and got me back home just fine. After some research I decided to replace the vvt solenoids. Looked like an easy job until I started and realized my valve covers are to style that you can't pull the solenoid through the hole (thanks FORD). Everything I have read says I should be able to but it's not gonna happen. I guess the new engine is for a different model year???? Is there anything I can test or do before pulling the cover? Can I just do one side? Looks like the driver side cover is much easier to access. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
P0020 refers to the driver's side anyway. Is the oil relatively clean ? You can't pop the solenoid grommet out and get a Torx screwdriver to the retaining screw ?

OP
OP
J

josephmast94

Reaction score
P0020 refers to the driver's side anyway. Is the oil relatively clean ? You can't pop the solenoid grommet out and get a Torx screwdriver to the retaining screw ?

I was wondering if I could just change the driver's side and leave the passenger as is.

Oil is good.

You can get a long skinny T 27 in there and loosen the screw but no matter how you turn it you can not get the solenoid out. the hole is too small and the flange where the screw goes stops it. See the attachment. Those are the 2 different sizes of the gaskets. Mine is on the right.

20210517_172603.jpg

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh ok. That's the style they went to in '08 or so. Did those valve covers come with the new motor ?

OP
OP
J

josephmast94

Reaction score
I assume they did.
Oh ok. That's the style they went to in '08 or so. Did those valve covers come with the new motor ?

I assume they did. I'm real confused now, every part that I have replaced on this engine has been for a 2005. If this one is a 2007 or 08 I wonder what that's gonna affect. Do you know of any way to tell exactly what year this engine is?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should be a build tag on the driver's side of the block, toward the rear, with a Ford part number on it like 3L3E-6015-EA or something. Use a good flashlight, or take a picture of it with your phone for reference. Then Google that part number, or Jaspers has some good info on the blocks.