PCM replacement and ABS programming led to whining noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pratik

Reaction score
Hi all,

I kept getting P2240 code (related to O2 sensor, even after sensor replacement) after harness repair and my mechanic thinks it is bad PCM. So, I changed PCM with a junkyard PCM using J2534 connector (Amazon) and FJDS subscription of 2 days. I clicked install new PCM, which copied existing PCM data to the new one and the code P2240 came back. Suspecting that it might be due to copying old PCM, I got yet another junkyard PCM and tried programming it "as built" by downloading the original files from Ford servers. However, I goofed up with incorrect PCM number (CL1A-DG was original, the replacement was CL1A-DH and I put in CL1A-DG by mistake or something) and it lost connection with ABS. After about an hour of struggling, I could finally program the PCM by selecting PCM reprogram function instead of install new PCM (which also updated the PCM to CL1A-DK) but the ABS module was flashed blank. There is no ABS reprogramming option (unlike PCM reprogramming) so I just went ahead with install new ABS module option, flashed the As-built/file downloaded from Ford servers and finally got ABS to talk and let of of ABS sign and error code. The problem now is that the engine is making whining noise even when the truck is idling (and some rubber burning smell?) I thought it might be due to the PCM so I swapped back the previous PCM and did PATS reset on it so that I can crank the truck. The truck drives well and all and no brake issues or any DTC codes (except P2240) but the continuous whining noise is not going away. When ABS was being flashed, the FJDS software said that it will only flash the configuration but NOT the calibration. The calibration parameters will remain the same (which I am afraid got wonked out when ABS failed to communicate/during flashing PCM/ABS). I would appreciate guidance on how to troubleshoot this issue. Thank you so much!