p0172 p0174 codes cant find pvc elbow everyone's talking about

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonK4204

Reaction score
I have a 2004 EB and I'm getting the error codes p0172, p0174 for too lean on banks 1 and 2. And i see everywhere that its usually caused by a pvc elbow on the passenger side of the engine near the back. I can see the hoses and everything but i dont seem to have the piece of PVC everyone seems to have. IMG_6506.JPG

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you the original owner ? 'Cause it looks like someone has swapped out some vacuum tubing already ( previous owner ? ). But the common leak is at the back of the intake manifold where the hose connects, or that PVC elbow that's usually right there at the PVC valve. Your best bet really, is to get yourself a smoke machine and smoke test the intake system. That way you find all the leaks, not just the obvious ones.

Online Order .... Ford 2L3Z-6C324-AA Vacuum Tree ....
8bc8b75f2613bb4d097573e145e5e940.jpg

Machanics Smoke Machine on Amazon

OP
OP
BrandonK4204

BrandonK4204

Reaction score
thank you for the help, where would be the best place to put smoke in the engine? just down through the intake?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thank you for the help, where would be the best place to put smoke in the engine? just down through the intake?

Usually just any of the smaller hoses connected to the throttle body. Like the Evap Purge vacuum supply line or such.
Leave the throttle closed. A leak will be pretty obvious in a few seconds.

OP
OP
BrandonK4204

BrandonK4204

Reaction score
it may have just been a halfway off hose going to the throttle body, I noticed it and just put it back in and cleared the code and it hasn't come back for a while but well see.