The original owner 2004 Ford Expedition E.B 5.4. It is struggling to Accelerate and it's bad!! HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FUEL PRESSUE TEST

Rent, Buy or go to a shop with a 0-100 psi manual fuel pressure gauge.

Have the engine off.

Find the location of the Schrader valve on the fuel tail. Use a rag to let off the pressure built up in the rail. Screw on the gauge and have someone start the vehicle. Pressure should be above 40psi under all conditions. Low pressure would indicate bad in-tank pump, or clogged sock covering pickup area or possibly clogged fuel line.

keiferEXP

Reaction score
Since you changed all those items, check fuel pressure. Sound like fuel pump, did mine recently not too bad with floor jack.

cecilbridge

Reaction score
I have a 2004 also. 2 things
1) Check if the Catalytic converters are blocked. Have an exhaust shop check it under acceleration. Normal idle might be OK, but under acceleration it’s blocked.
2) check if the front brake are binding - check calipers/hoses. My expy was having issues accelerating and came to find out the brake was binding. Had to replaced both from calipers and hoses. It’s a 20 year old vehicle so have the front hoses check.

Goodluck

EngineerMike

Reaction score
You had p301 & p308 misfires on respective cylinders, I didn't see that you replaced boots which can crack & bleed spark away

Michael Philpot

Reaction score
I had my leftside cats replaced due to a rattle. The right-side cats recently started rattling and I experienced very poor acceleration. I had it replaced and it fixed the issue.

Michael Philpot

Reaction score
My expy had exhaust coming out when idling. The catalyst was loose and blocking the pipe on the right-side. Since it has single exhaust, you will have exhaust at idle but lower pressure at acceleration from the tailpipe. The pressure before the cats will be very high at acceleration.
As for coil boots... that can definitely cause a misfire resulting in lower acceleration.
I replaced all the coils and boots due to a misfire and high mileage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire