P0453

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey y'all I just replaced the fuel pump assembly due to the fuel level sending unit not working. So after all that fun I fixed the truck and the fuel gauge is working as is the overhead fuel display. I broke the fuel vapor pressure sensor on the old pump assembly so after making another trip to AutoZone and dropping an additional $70 I had the new sensor installed. I drove it to the gas station and filled it up ( another $90 ) and all the sudden the CEL comes on. I know the code is for high pressure in the evaporation system but it was not coding before I replaced the pump assembly. So im thinking I got a bad sensor? Anyone have experience troubleshooting this code?

Last edited:

kidphc

Reaction score
The Pinpoint says it has to do with the FTP Sensor Voltage or it's not reading enough pressure in the tank (hence the low voltage).

FROM ALL DATA PINPOINT
HX33 DTC p0453: Check for High FTP Sensor Voltage
NOTE: FTP Sensor Input with no pressure/vacuum on the fuel tank (Fuel Filler cap open or not open to Atmosphere is 2.37 to 2.97 volts.

- Connect Scan Tool
-Key on, Engine off.
-Access FTPV PID.
-IF FTPV PID is not present on scan tool measure voltage between FTP and SIG RTN circuit at the PCM Harness Connector with PCM connected.

Measured voltage or FTP V PID reading greater then 4.50
YES: KEY OFF. GO TO HX34
NO: Fault intermittent. Go to Z1....

Z1 is a basic BS (bull Sh*) pinpoint test sheet.

Since it occurred after a fill up. Maybe you didn't tighten the gas cap or the gas cap seal is no good. Check it first. Then clear the code. If the code comes back the harness may have been damaged when dropping the tank or when pulling the FTP. Could just be a bad sensor.

I prefer not to post the entire pinpoint test. Ford Pinpoint test are always small books.

*****THIS PINPOINT IS FOR A 2001 5.4L 4WD.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
awesome thanks! I guess i was thinking this code meant high fuel vapor pressure not low pressure. I know the hose clamps on the filler hose are shot and wouldn't tighten down all the way so perhaps the air is escaping there. Also a prior owner decided to "alter" the harness and removed the plug back there so all the wires are just connected with butt-connectors so it very well could be a harness issue. Come Monday I will hook up to my truck with the work scan tool and see what the voltages are.

Last edited:
B

bedrck46

you may want to remove the throttle body and clean out the exhaust ports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik