P2195 P2197 rough idle after warm up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adkinsc20

Reaction score
Hello all, my 03 4.6 has had a rough idle after warming up for months now, at first it was barely noticeable but all of a sudden it went from barely noticeable to the point of wanting to die at idle. A few days ago the CEL came on with P2195 and P2197. It's fine for about 3 minutes after the first start of the day and if your going down the road. I've read it could be vacuum lines. What are the odds of both O2's being bad at the same time? It's got about 170k on it

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
About zero. Check the condition of your vacuum tubes and elbows. The common one is the elbow on the back of the manifold, that runs to the PCV. The other one is the one that comes over from the Evap module. You can order parts online. Or, I believe Advance Auto has the elbow in their HELP assortment rack. If you had access to a smoke machine I would say use that, and you'll find it in 10 seconds.

-Mike

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As hamfisted said you've got the dreaded vacuum leak in your intake system. It's the equivalent of the human dripsys but without the penicillin! Serious though easiest way is smoke the intake is through the hose from brake booster. Saves time and lots of carb spray!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
adkinsc20

adkinsc20

Reaction score
About zero. Check the condition of your vacuum tubes and elbows. The common one is the elbow on the back of the manifold, that runs to the PCV. The other one is the one that comes over from the Evap module. You can order parts online. Or, I believe Advance Auto has the elbow in their HELP assortment rack. If you had access to a smoke machine I would say use that, and you'll find it in 10 seconds.

-Mike

Wow, that's for sharing that video. The first hose he talks about with the green end is super squishy and dry rotted on mine. I will definitely be changing it.
He mentions that that hose cost $80, any reason it can't just be replaced with gas/oil resistant hose?

Ltmax

Reaction score
If you haven't had the intake manifold gaskets replaced yet they are way past due. They all leak and allow the engine to suck air when it warms up giving those codes and also when they get bad enough they can leak coolant into the top of the engine or out onto the ground. It's about a 3 hour job and parts are only about $50 if you do it yourself. While it's off you will most likely find several vacuum hoses that are rotted and leaking as well that are simple to replace while it's apart.

OP
OP
adkinsc20

adkinsc20

Reaction score
I smoked it and the elbows on the line running from the passenger side valve cover are shot also. Hopefully I can get my hands on a couple today. Thanks again for the info guys.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Post your results after the repairs, helps other's with same codes/issues.

OP
OP
adkinsc20

adkinsc20

Reaction score
Post your results after the repairs, helps other's with same codes/issues.

Well I replaced the elbows and it's not wanting to die no but still idling rough while in gear. It's idling around 7k when in park and doesn't seem to go down any when in gear but almost seems like a miss and the exhaust smells horrible. Gonna borrow a friends code reader later today and see what it says as the cel is on again.

I also changed the plugs around the same timeframe as the elbows, so maybe I didn't get a boot popped down good enough.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd pop off the throttle cable and see if idle drops, might be a crusty cable. Also look at throttle body, you might be all gunked up in there. Lastly clear out your Egr passage, real common on the 4.6. Did you smoke intake to see if you had any other vacuum leaks?