Paint peeling on 17

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shell waster

Reaction score
New 17 paint peeling along drivers side. Going to dealer Monday. This is my first ford in 20 years, no too impressed.

20180608_073105.jpg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks to be the plastic trim piece on the door correct? That’s unusual but it happens on plastic panels sometimes. Express your dissatisfaction and ask it be fixed under warranty as it’s a 1 year old vehicle. Sorry to hear. It’s a paint defect for sure, if the dealer denies it open a case with Ford I think you can get this covered.

OP
OP
S

shell waster

Reaction score
It's metal underneath.... Thanks for the input. Under 1 year old, under 12,000 miles. We will see what the dealer says. Hopefully they have a loaner when it is getting fixed. Sorry about the shoes, paint is real shiny everywhere else...

20180608_073046.jpg

OP
OP
S

shell waster

Reaction score
That looks to be the plastic trim piece on the door correct? That’s unusual but it happens on plastic panels sometimes. Express your dissatisfaction and ask it be fixed under warranty as it’s a 1 year old vehicle. Sorry to hear. It’s a paint defect for sure, if the dealer denies it open a case with Ford I think you can get this covered.

I looked at it again, pretty sure you are correct, plastic trim on lower third of door. Probably to protect metal. Thanks again, should be an easynfix

Bruce Mitchell

Reaction score
That looks like a textbook manufacturer's defect. Should be a warranty repair. If the dealer balks, call Ford Customer Assistance and start a file.

uberdog

Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the dead in case it helps someone else the way it just helped me. I have the same issue on my 2007 black Expy Limited. Top lip of the lower plastic cladding just started on the doors. Not nearly as bad as the OP but just happened out of nowhere on a garaged and rarely driven truck. Clearly a paint defect with more than a sample of one.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Factories often have problems with getting a perfect paint job. One example is the early Dodge pickup trucks that had paint peel off the hoods, I think it was like that for 3-4 years in the nineties.