Painting Body Side Moldings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djljr

Reaction score
I have seen a couple of posts that make reference to painting the plastic side moldings with rattle can Krylon Fusion paint. I have an '03 Expy with the faded side moldings. Ford would have replaced them but I was out of the country for two years and when I returned, the local dealer claims time had run out.

I have taken the vehicle to two body shops and both refused to paint the side moldings; they are telling me that the paint will not bond to the plastic and will peel off in time. I also spoke to one of those shops that sprays on truck bed liners and he said that material will definitley stick but it has a texture that I don't like.

A kit to replace all the side moldings will run about $800 from the dealer. So, has anybody painted or had their side moldings painted?

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
97with24"--He has the newer body style. He can't remove his side moldings.

djljr--There are a couple members that painted their molding, if I recall correctly. I think most (if not all) used the Krylon Fusion paint. I don't remember any of them complaining about it, either. I've just heard positive results. If you do a good job taping off the area and do the proper preparation (instructions on can), then I'm sure you will be happy with the result. I can't tell you how long it will last, however. Hopefully others will chim in.

OP
OP
D

djljr

Reaction score
I recall a post on this forum, member or visitor I don't recall, that had painted their side molding. IIRC, 3 coats of a white Krylon primer was the base, 3 coats of factory matched spray after that with a top coat of clear coat spray. I was hoping the poster would respond with his results as it was probably over a year ago that he posted.

I would like to know whether primer/factory match spray/clear coat approach or the Krylon fusion approach actually work and will last.

I tried to Search the forum for the old post but the Search function is not working.:confused:

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was it you who PMed me? Was it about this? I can't access my PMs so I can't tell.

Either way, I painted mine with Krylon Fusion Satin Black, and they just now started to peel in some places. Granted, mine wasn't one of the better preparations.

This time, I'm considering sanding mine smooth, shooting them with adhesion promoter, Duplicolor paint and clear (the one found Advanced). I painted a friend's A4 blades this way, and they came out real nice. Might even try PTMing them.

Or, I might just shoot them with Krylon again :p

OP
OP
D

djljr

Reaction score
Yes, it be me the PMd you.

I have been told by a guy that paints for a living that really good prep, adhesion promoter, paint and 2-3 coats of clear should keep the paint on the plastic.

I assume that you painted yours in place? What is PTMing? What is adhesion promoter and where can you get it?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I painted mine in place.

PTM = paint to match, aka color matching. When you paint something the same color as the body color.

You can get Duplicolor adhesion promoter spray paint at Advanced, along with the paint and clear, all in the spray paint section of your local Advanced Auto. You might have to look at a couple Advances for the adhesion promoter, since the first one I looked for didn't have it. I'm sure you could order it from another store.