painting fender flares

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So gonna start this thread.... looking for someone has painted fender flares with good success... was quoted 350$ to have all my tan sprayed with "raptor bedliner"... but still am debating to use the rustoleum bedliner spray... used that on my lower valance with good luck... so my plan this spring is to scuff up all the tan then use some self-etching primer then the bedliner then possibly spray some clear over it... been reading on f150online with people using it but still wondering if it will hold up on my expy... long rant but figured I would start some discussion on painting the ugly tan...

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm no bedliner expert.........but clearing over bedliner? Seems odd

OP
OP
walnuts4x4

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on using rustoleum bedliner the rattle can stuff.... I've seen on f150online people have been using it on rockers and then painting it to match their trucks.... my concern is how well it will last since the 37s throw a lot of crap up

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just wait till its over 50 at least, i did mine, and it flaked

dont do it while its cold!:badidea::greenchainsaw:

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I coated the lower part of my Explorer with Line-X Bed Liner. It was all rusted, and had holes from where I took off the running boards. Looked like new after. I was going to do around the wheel wells too, but never got around to it. Was going to $50 per wheel well. I am considering this for my Expy as well. Doing all the tan parts to match the rest of the truck.

Here's a pic of the rust and holes from where the running boards were...

jasper2005047-1.jpg

And then after.... They even added a bit of gold pearl to the color mix, and it looks nicer than the rest of the truck.

ICAM0008.jpg
h.jpg

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i just finished doing mine with the rustoleum undercoating (walmart was out of bedliner). i do not have my camera (it is in Iowa with my wife) so as soon as i can get pics i will post them. i think they turned out great, just gotta test to see how durable they will be for you walnuts.

OP
OP
walnuts4x4

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cool.. i got 3 cans from the bedliner already...left over from last year I did the door sills and lower portions of door on my expy but just worried about the fender flares... I'm thinking a couple coats of bedliner then gloss black then couple coats of clear to help durability....

OP
OP
walnuts4x4

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as for line-x or raptor... I am trying to save some money... got two nice vacations planned for this summer since I grad with my criminal justice AS