Painting Plastic Trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Walk03XLT

Reaction score
This might be better in the Exterior section, and I'll move it if need be. Has anyone painted the plastic trim that runs around the body of the 2nd Gen? Not just the valance, but the whole mess. Mine is looking like crap in a lot of places and I've been toying with the idea of bed lining it, just paint maybe...I dunno. Something to make it look better.

Anyone have any experience, ideas, methods, cleaners, anything that worked well if you tried it? Just trying to brainstorm to come up with something.

Thanks.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ask bow down he painted his lower trim. if i remember correctly sand it using a fine grit sand paper, primer and paint. im sure there is more to it. i

offroadexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do mine, but I'm no painter so I'm just waiting till I can get it done professionally.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if your gonna attempt it I would scuff it with sand paper then clean it with acetone then use some adhesion promoter and then bedline it or paint it..... just take your time and do light coats

OP
OP
Walk03XLT

Walk03XLT

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Walnuts that's pretty much what I was thinking. I've painted quite a bit of stuff, just not a vehicle, so I've got the sanding and cleaning part down. The more i think about it, the bedliner is the way I'm gonna go. I think it'll look sharp, and way better than it does now.

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if your just tryin to dress up faded black trim there is a product called back to black that works awesome you can get it at autozone oreilly advance

NewbieVet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if your just tryin to dress up faded black trim there is a product called back to black that works awesome you can get it at autozone oreilly advance

My trim was painted black when I bought the truck, but the paint is beginning to fade quite badly in a few spots. I spent a good couple hours with "back to black" last weekend, without positive results. I'm not a fan except maybe for slight fading on plastic window trim etc....

Thanks guys. Walnuts that's pretty much what I was thinking. I've painted quite a bit of stuff, just not a vehicle, so I've got the sanding and cleaning part down. The more i think about it, the bedliner is the way I'm gonna go. I think it'll look sharp, and way better than it does now.

When you say bedliner what exactly do you mean? that diamond plated metal? Could one do that and then get it black powder coated? That could looks sweet. I need to something about my plastic trim it's seen better days!

NewbieVet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you say bedliner what exactly do you mean? that diamond plated metal? Could one do that and then get it black powder coated? That could looks sweet. I need to something about my plastic trim it's seen better days![/QUOTE]

n/m i was thinking about diamond cut metal (like a lot of wranglers have for trim). That could actually look kinda' cool!!

OP
OP
Walk03XLT

Walk03XLT

Reaction score
Yeah BlackExpy the diamond plate tread would be bad ass...but probably more cash and work that I'm willing to put in....If you wanna do it I'm all for seein pics lol.

I'm talking Rustoleum spray on. I'm going to use it on my nerf bars to dress them back up a bit, and I keep thinking that I'm just gonna go ahead and do all my gray trim the same way. Just haven't quite pulled the trigger yet.

Probably a few weeks left till I figure it out and actually get it done.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djahmed786