Parking break

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaverikDS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My parking break needs to be tightened. I tried searching but could not find any previous posts about this. Can someone please give me directions on how to do this. It does work still but I just need to adjust the tension in the cable so that I can have it engage the breaks harder or earlier in the down motion of the pedal. I have tried going in reverse and hitting the breaks as a mechanic told me this should self adjust but it has not improved at all.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this is the 1st gen section. so its 97-02. but i need to do this as well and have yet to do it. been a few years. but what you can do is take off the rear breaks. they are drums on the inside and adjust them that way. but i havent looked in a while, but you can take a screw driver and put it into a hole thats on the dirt shield on the inside of the brakes. and spin the adjuster. but i dont really remember how to do them. someone will know better.

IAExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sorry bout that, i just found it under the "new posts" link and didn't think to check the section

OP
OP
M

MaverikDS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, sorry. I have a 2001 XLT 4X4 and I believe that still might be the same way.

flyin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It may be worth your time to pop off the rear drums and look at the parking brake shoes and verify that the friction material is still bonded to the backing plate

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mines not haha i checked mine and they fell out when i opened drum

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I still have to replace mine.

This is the parking brake cable not even connected. hah...
SDC12496.jpg
This is what use to be my parking brake.
SDC12494.jpg

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that has happened to me. well today i decided to take my rears off and clean them so i have some pics and i adjusted them so i can tell you how to do it now.

this is what you need to screw downwards with a screw driver if your brake is too loose or sloppy. downwards if its facing towards the left. meaning driver side=towards the front. passenge rside=towards the back.
screwdumpemergency.jpg
driver side rear drum.
emergencydrum2.jpg
located here!
emergencydrum1-1.jpg

i turned both mine about 1-2 full turns and its much tighter. i dont have to put the pedal all the way to the floor now. much better!

Last edited: