Passive Keyless Entry and Push Button Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a newer vehicle with PKE and PB Start and I really like it. Thinking about doing this on my 2009 EL. Has anyone installed one of the aftermarket kits and what was your experience? Any brand recommendations? Or any recommendations to just not do it? Looking at pros and cons and figure someone out here has had to do this before. Not looking for the remote start but if it was it part of the package then OK. Thanks for any input.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’d have to be a computer wizard, the Expedition uses a chipped transponder key and an Passive Anti Theft Deterrent System in the steering column which is a sensor that looks for the chip to start the vehicle. This works with the gauge cluster circuit board as well as main ECM. If you ever ripped the black part off the end of your key or just had a copy made of it the truck would never start as there is a little chip in there that the sensor is looking for. Personally I’d pass, a truck deserves to be started with a key. I feel girly push to starting big vehicles lol.

Also the Expedition keyed system will crank the engine on its own until it starts itself. No holding the key in run position required. Try it out. Just put the key up into the start position and let go, it will crank until it starts. I never hold the key up there to crank like an older car, all you have to do is click it there fast and it does it’s thing which is pretty nice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tommyddsr

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I am familiar with the transponder and programming chip keys. And I retired as the CIO of a computer Department for the DoD. So computers don't scare me ;) (not necessarily a wizard though). I think the only option would be a bypass which defeats the security. Can't figure a temp way around it. Hoping someone else had figured it out. FORSCAN seems to be pretty useless on the 3rd gen expy's so far so finding a setting to allow a temp defeat for starting???? How do they do it for remote start units? No key (transponder) in the truck but it starts. Need to look into it. Just like being able to leave the keys in my pocket. And I will try the no holding the key thing. Did not know that one.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you wired up a bypass that was powered by a relay you could energize with a switch concealed somewhere you could maybe pull it off. Remote starts will either have a bypass module with them or have one integrated in the unit. Directed makes the DBALL2 and 3 which both support this generation.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I looked into adding this to an 08.

What seems like the best system is the Digital Guard Dog
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2015-overhead-console-intrusion-sensor-retrofit-416887/

They make a real high quality system designed for similar Fords.

I only chose against it because I figured it was one more electronic gadget that would be waiting to break, probably when I'm 300 miles away from home.

If you like living on the Edge, Amazon sells a "universal" Chinese kit for the price of a tank of gas. Have fun with that.

OP
OP
tommyddsr

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trainmaster, I followed your posted link and it takes me to 2015+ Overhead Console Intrusion Sensor Retrofit. I assume the link is going to the wrong place. I appreciate the lead though on the Digital Guard Dog. I'll check it out.

OP
OP
tommyddsr

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After some more research I think I am going to scrap this idea. Every option wants to do a PATS bypass. Not looking to lower security and have my truck stolen. Thanks for the input.