PCM fuse blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpedHawksfan

Reaction score
I just want to help anyone dealing with the same issue that I just had. I have a 1998 Eddie Bauer and I have changed the fuel pump now 3 times in the last year. This last time my son was driving and it just died on him. It would crank and no start. It was acting like the fuel pump went out again. I dropped the tank and replaced it again but then it was showing that it was in antitheft mode. I searched everywhere and the Ford forums have been extremely instrumental in finding any issues I have had in the past. This last time it proved just the same with one exception, I found after all the work I did that the PCM fuse was blown. I replaced it and it ran for about 15 minutes. I was testing it out due to the fact that the tow truck driver, in order to put my expedition in a position for the flatbed truck to tow it home for some unknown reason put it in 4 low and it had a huge popping noise that sounded like he may have screwed up my transfer case. (Still to be determined). It then blew the PCM fuse under the dash and then proceeded to blow it every time the ignition was turned to run. I found on the forums that it could possibly be the RFI capacitors. The problem was that nobody was saying where they were and what they looked like. After a tremendous amount of searching I found out what they looked like but the locations given were vague or incorrect. I am posting this so that others don't have to go through the searching and time that I did. (A week of off time looking when I could). They are located at approximately the middle of the top side between the thrittth body and the fuel rails. These 2 little $12 parts cost me a great deal of time. One or both had shorted out internally and we're causing the OCP fuse to blow. They, from what my rxpeexperi and reading have shown only reduce the RFI interference on the AM radio. (Seriously?!?!) This is what the Ford engineers decided to allow your vehicle to be incapacitated?!?! Here is a picture of what they look like. Unplug them and you should golden. I hope this helps others.

mU0s5mkt6coWY55hJWpclbA.jpg 80-p1013438_51939_1410968558_1280_1280_e12237e0a2baf6873f0d7d51b3816808452848e1.jpg

proser30

Reaction score
This info helped me with my PCM #72 fuse blowing under the hood. I replaced the fuse and saw I had a missing radio noise capacitor. I replaced the capacitor with a junk yard one and now its running smoothly. This saved me from throwing all sorts of parts at the truck like a throttle body, canister etc..