Phone audio started sounding like a cheap two inch speaker.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honu

Reaction score
I've got a 2016 Expedition Limited. I've had it about a year. Sync is at 3.4. This week, all of a sudden, made and received calls sound as if I'm listening to them on a cheap transister radio speaker held about six feet from my ear. This is only in MY car. I transfer cars for a local Ford dealer so I sync my phone to them for use when I'm driving. This also occurs with my wife's phone in MY car.
I've looked at every setting I can find both on my phone (Samsund S8+) and in the car. I'm at a loss. The bluetooth audio (mostly Amazon Music and my Sirius account when needed) are not affected at all. Nor is Google coming from the phone. Only the phone call audio.
Help!

OP
OP
H

Honu

Reaction score
I posted this almost a week ago. So far no one has responded. I wonder if I posted it in the wrong forum?

joe sierra

Reaction score
Hmmm. I have noticed something similar. I have an Android phone I sync to my 2017 Expy. It seems to have happenned after an update to my phone that activated HD phone. I have been ignoring it as it didn't bother me that much. Maybe something similar happened on your phone? Hope that helps!!

OP
OP
H

Honu

Reaction score
Hmmm. I have noticed something similar. I have an Android phone I sync to my 2017 Expy. It seems to have happenned after an update to my phone that activated HD phone. I have been ignoring it as it didn't bother me that much. Maybe something similar happened on your phone? Hope that helps!!
Hi Joe,
So I tried what you suggested. I turned off HD Calling in my phone. Deleted the Bluetooth connection from Sync and from my phone and tried to connect again.
Late Breaking News!!!!
Now Sync will not connect via Bluetooth to my phone. Turned HD Calling back on, restarted phone. Same thing. Phone can't bluetooth connect to sync. Tried it with a cable tether. Android auto comes up and everything works.............except the phone!
On to the next thing, whatever that may be.
It was a good suggestion Joe, and I'll try just about anything. But.............

Jeff

joe sierra

Reaction score
That is weird and it stinks. I was going to try that on mine. But now that you have outlined the outcome you got, I think I will not try that and just keep my cheap speaker sound for the time being. That's a really a strange turn of events. Maybe the media software needs to be refreshed? Not sure of the whats and hows on that. It may need to be done at the dealer. I will keep thinking about it searching around and post if I come up with anything.

rayjyee1

Reaction score
Wondering if it isn't your Sync 3.4? 2016 models had Sync 3.0. Other Sync threads talk about quirkiness after upgrades. You or previous owner must have upgraded Sync.

OP
OP
H

Honu

Reaction score
Wondering if it isn't your Sync 3.4? 2016 models had Sync 3.0. Other Sync threads talk about quirkiness after upgrades. You or previous owner must have upgraded Sync.

Rayjyee,

That is a possibility. I had the dealer upgrade to Sync 3.4 prior to delivery. It's been fine for 11 months. We will find out as we have ordered a replacement APIM.
What is interesting is that over the weekend I had three calls TO me where everything sounded as it should; through the stereo. I have not been able to duplicate this with outgoing calls FROM me.

I'll keep the forum updated.

Jeff

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could try a network reset. That will restore the bluetooth adapter in your phone to factory, unfortunately that also happens with wifi as well and you would need to reconnect to all wifi networks and bluetooth devices.

Android auto still relies on the bluetooth connection to handle the calls, even if you're plugged in.

Being the issue is primarily calling I'm wondering if some sort of incompatibility with the hands free profile that either the phone, or sync is using. Wideband audio (HD Voice) uses HFP 1.6. Media relies on A2DP and wouldn't necessarily be affected by an issue with the other. Were any phone updates applied prior to this? What build number is the S8+ on? You'll find that in that in about phone, and under the software section. If you can get the build number I can reach out to some old support team contacts when I used to rep for samsung and did quite a bit of troubleshooting and see if they have any experience with the issue and the S8+. Unfortunately I left the company just a couple months after the S8 launch and didn't do much aside from sales support with those.

Does your wife have the same model phone? If not then below likely isn't of much use as the odds of 2 random phones w the exact same issues are fairly low.

If she does you could try to kill it with fire so to speak. If you have a SD card or a sufficiently large USB drive and your OTG adapter that came on the box with the phone you can use the Smart Switch application that's hiding in the settings menu to essentially clone the phone to external storage and then do a factory reset. Once your back up and running and before signing in/installing anything pair back up to the vehicle and see if the issue persists, if not, then restore from the backup and if it is still gone then you know it was software/phone related though you'll likely not discover the root cause. If not at least you know what it isn't and can continue to eliminate variables.

The smart switch application restore will put all settings, wifi networks, apps, photos, videos, and home screen layouts back where they should be. Bluetooth will need paired again and you'll need to enter account passwords for things you use should you go that route. Be sure to have those handy before doing anything like that and as always backup any sensitive data to another location just in case.

OP
OP
H

Honu

Reaction score
You could try a network reset. That will restore the bluetooth adapter in your phone to factory, unfortunately that also happens with wifi as well and you would need to reconnect to all wifi networks and bluetooth devices.

Android auto still relies on the bluetooth connection to handle the calls, even if you're plugged in.

Being the issue is primarily calling I'm wondering if some sort of incompatibility with the hands free profile that either the phone, or sync is using. Wideband audio (HD Voice) uses HFP 1.6. Media relies on A2DP and wouldn't necessarily be affected by an issue with the other. Were any phone updates applied prior to this? What build number is the S8+ on? You'll find that in that in about phone, and under the software section. If you can get the build number I can reach out to some old support team contacts when I used to rep for samsung and did quite a bit of troubleshooting and see if they have any experience with the issue and the S8+. Unfortunately I left the company just a couple months after the S8 launch and didn't do much aside from sales support with those.

Does your wife have the same model phone? If not then below likely isn't of much use as the odds of 2 random phones w the exact same issues are fairly low.

If she does you could try to kill it with fire so to speak. If you have a SD card or a sufficiently large USB drive and your OTG adapter that came on the box with the phone you can use the Smart Switch application that's hiding in the settings menu to essentially clone the phone to external storage and then do a factory reset. Once your back up and running and before signing in/installing anything pair back up to the vehicle and see if the issue persists, if not, then restore from the backup and if it is still gone then you know it was software/phone related though you'll likely not discover the root cause. If not at least you know what it isn't and can continue to eliminate variables.

The smart switch application restore will put all settings, wifi networks, apps, photos, videos, and home screen layouts back where they should be. Bluetooth will need paired again and you'll need to enter account passwords for things you use should you go that route. Be sure to have those handy before doing anything like that and as always backup any sensitive data to another location just in case.

Aspen,

Thanks for the response. Thanks for the great information. Lots of things here that I've never considered. However, I think I need to discount most all of it. Reason for this is that it happens with any phone attached to my car. It only affects my car. And both mine and my wifes phones work in other vehicles.
This past holiday weekend everything worked as advertised on three separate occasions. During the third call (made TO me) it actually quit and reverted to the above described situation in mid-call.
I guess we'll find out Wednesday. Ford called today. The module is in and will be installed then.

Best
Jeff