Photos of Trailer(s) that you tow with your Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pull these quite often in the Winter. I will take some pics of the boats I pull in the spring when the weather changes over.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 389

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is our Fleetwood popup on my Expy last fall, weighing in around 3500-3700#.. This is only a few weeks after I got the truck, so only the front bar and side steps had been added.

DBC1DC81-7BF1-4FA5-9BD4-19DFB4F6300F-9170-00000406D602E174_zps64fe7722.jpg

Last edited:

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cherokeexj32, I've never gotten it on a scale. The GWR for it is 7700. I'm guessing I'm around 7000 lbs loaded up and ready to roll. I don't know the TW. Between the air suspension and WD hitch the Expedition handles it well.

spotdog14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is our Fleetwood popup on my Expy last fall, weighing in around 3500-3700#.. This is only a few weeks after I got the truck, so only the front bar and side steps had been added.

DBC1DC81-7BF1-4FA5-9BD4-19DFB4F6300F-9170-00000406D602E174_zps64fe7722.jpg
How does it tow the pop-up? We are considering getting something along those lines. I see you also have the cargo basket. He love ours, its also great for tailgating, you fit more people in the car and put your coolers and grill on the roof.

Expy530

Reaction score
How does it tow the pop-up? We are considering getting something along those lines. I see you also have the cargo basket. He love ours, its also great for tailgating, you fit more people in the car and put your coolers and grill on the roof.

Roof rack ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365692103.778938.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365692129.611549.jpg

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We are pulling the small horse in a small horse trailer (1,5 Trailer how they call it here in Europe), with passive trailer braking system 4 wheels and suspension. the total weight (trailer and horse) is about 1150pounds
I have no idea yet about what type of axle ratio I have, how or where do I see that ?
with 50mph I am @ 1650rmp with overdrive on and 2?00 with overdrive off.

the fuel economy is amazing -> at 50MPH with the shown Trailer (1150pounds) and a loaded vehicle, I am at 12.5mpg on a 100 mile trip with Overdrive OFF and at an amazing 15mpg with overdrive off.
Have not seen any difference in the temperature level if using with or without overdrive. Do I harm my transmission when using overdrive to pull the trailer ? it is light, but still 10feet high. frankly said, I'de rather use 2 gallons more and not harm my transmission. I'll go out in the forum and search for the right post about Pulling trailers and using overdirve in the mean time, enjoy the beautiful car, horse and wife ;) ;) ;)

225059_10151368966248005_23708772_n.jpg

Hte expedtition is BY FAR the best towing vehicule I have ever had. We had an escape before that, it did OK, but the v6 used more fule when towing, and just a little bit less when not towing. And in the expedition I can transport all my belongings when going on a trip ;)

Your axle ratio is generally in two places: your door tag, or on the rear axle itself (a little aluminum tag).

Overdrive: If you use overdrive when trailering, you risk overheating your trans, components etc. &/or setting a code. On mine, back in 1998, the overdrive light on the shifter starting flashing indicating a fault. The local dealership could not find anything wrong, but big blue Ford decided to replace the torque converter since this was the first-year Expy. Fast forward a year after moving to California, and I had the powerplant beefed up and also added an aluminum deep-well transmission pan that held an extra 8 quarts of fluid and an in-line filter (basically an oil filter) to catch potential debris. I used overdrive coming back cross country when on flat terrain and downhill, but had to manually shift up/down for the hills & mountains encountered. Did not encounter any problems, but kept my eyes on the trans temp gauge to ensure that when it spiked, it came back down to normal after the stressors.

PanHandler.

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I have since moved my roof basket to the popup, so as not to make bad gas mileage worse.

As far as towing a popup, it's like it isn't even there... I went from a Cherokee straight 6 4.0 5 speed to the expedition. I loved my jeep for many reasons, but the expedition rows the popup like nothing. Huge upgrade! What size popup do you have or will you be looking at?

I am a member of popupportal.com which is a great resource for you, and I have also rebuilt a few popups, including roof damage from a tree falling on it, and cabinet rehab on the same. Pm me if you want some pointers, I have owned several and know them inside and out. :)

spotdog14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have since moved my roof basket to the popup, so as not to make bad gas mileage worse.

As far as towing a popup, it's like it isn't even there... I went from a Cherokee straight 6 4.0 5 speed to the expedition. I loved my jeep for many reasons, but the expedition rows the popup like nothing. Huge upgrade! What size popup do you have or will you be looking at?

I am a member of popupportal.com which is a great resource for you, and I have also rebuilt a few popups, including roof damage from a tree falling on it, and cabinet rehab on the same. Pm me if you want some pointers, I have owned several and know them inside and out. :)

That's an awesome website, thank you. I added some reviews of Michigan camp grounds that I have been to.

I have no idea what I want to get. The wife wants some type of camper instead of a tent (I prefer a tent) but I have learned what she wants is what I want. So I am on the hunt for something between 1-2k that I can get and fix up.