Piston Slap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1955moose what exactly is in the "fog" you are sending to Colorado? Anything from a green leafy substance?

For the old timers on here that is the politically correct way of asking "Hey man, are you high" or "whatcha smokin"?

It's pick on 1955moose day.....

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's ok, my old friends here use to pick on me all the time. God I miss those days. I wasn't even thinking about good old herb when I made that comment. But think about it before San Francisco was named that, it was called Yerba Buena, which as all that understand spanish, translates to good herb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ldutton6

Reaction score
Now, my question is I just put a post and I thought this was cams hitting the valves? What exactly is piston slap?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Piston slap is when you have excessive clearance between pistons and cylinders they ride in. Cylinders can be out of round, or just excessive wear. The slapping can also be caused by a broken or cracked piston skirt.

ldutton6

Reaction score
Piston slap is when you have excessive clearance between pistons and cylinders they ride in. Cylinders can be out of round, or just excessive wear. The slapping can also be caused by a broken or cracked piston skirt.

Now, I'm thinking this is not my problem. Mine sounds like cams hitting the valves like a Subaru 2.5Liter does if your familiar with that.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well your narrowing it down. Grab a stethoscope, or large screwdriver. Handle to ear, listen when cold. Sure sounds like a hydraulic issue in the top end. If your Lucas additive, or different oil doesn't help, you got to make a decision, if your going to tear into it, or live with the noise. Keep us posted. Reading everyone's post's in the morning, is sure better than reading the news!

ldutton6

Reaction score
Well your narrowing it down. Grab a stethoscope, or large screwdriver. Handle to ear, listen when cold. Sure sounds like a hydraulic issue in the top end. If your Lucas additive, or different oil doesn't help, you got to make a decision, if your going to tear into it, or live with the noise. Keep us posted. Reading everyone's post's in the morning, is sure better than reading the news!

That is true haha! I am going to live with it!