please help...and don't laugh (lifting an expy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok, so I have a 2wd 99 expy with a fabtech 7.5" lift on it and I want 2-3 more inches without going the body lift route....yet. :) What are my options? I keep hearing about the leveling kits but how does that work on a suv which doesn't have the uneven rake of a truck with a bed? Will that make my front end look higher than the rear? I don't really understand suspension on trucks as I've always had mustangs (still do) and all I ever needed to know is that springs lower a car 1-2 inches...and that's it.

Also, my rear tires (35" bfg at) sit 2 inches closer to the the front lip of the rear wheel well than the rear lip. Does that mean I have a serious caster problem? I always thought camber and caster are front suspension issues only. The reason i ask, is that seems to prevent me from having 37" with this lift, forcing me to keep 35" for clearance. thanks.

Sincerely,

Confused

M.Sowder

Reaction score
ok, so I have a 2wd 99 expy with a fabtech 7.5" lift on it and I want 2-3 more inches without going the body lift route....yet. :) What are my options? I keep hearing about the leveling kits but how does that work on a suv which doesn't have the uneven rake of a truck with a bed? Will that make my front end look higher than the rear? I don't really understand suspension on trucks as I've always had mustangs (still do) and all I ever needed to know is that springs lower a car 1-2 inches...and that's it.

Also, my rear tires (35" bfg at) sit 2 inches closer to the the front lip of the rear wheel well than the rear lip. Does that mean I have a serious caster problem? I always thought camber and caster are front suspension issues only. The reason i ask, is that seems to prevent me from having 37" with this lift, forcing me to keep 35" for clearance. thanks.

Sincerely,

Confused
Put a solid axle and bigger leaf springs.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not sure why you would want that much lift on 2wd but hey, bigger is better. you gonna convert to 4wd eventually?

OP
OP
mmrseed

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny, I'm not THAT confused about suspension issues. Coil springs at all corners, it's an suv, not a truck and it is a solid rear axle. My reasons for wanting to lift a 2wd are the same as wanting to lift a 4wd ....I just want something that looks a little cooler. A moderate lift (which it has now) looks too close to stock and I don't care for lowered suv's too much so....there you have it

OP
OP
mmrseed

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is true, but yours looks quite higher than mine I believe because it was a 4x4 to begin with which sits higher stock than a non 4x4, right?. A 2wd like mine with a 7.5" lift looks like a 4x4 with a 4 inch lift. If I could get 3 more inches (on my truck) I would be happy

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Pics please..... I'd like to see this 7.5 inch lift that doesn't look like a lift. Sounds like a lot of height to me!!! ...My 5 inches makes it look like a monster next to other Expy's. Especially if you are running 35's. Must be huge. I'd like to see it.

Last edited:

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
That's awesome man. I see what you say though. Maybe doesn't look like 7.5 should. But I like it a lot!!! Nice truck!!!

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I think that it has the perfect proportion of tire size and lift height.
What size tire are you thinking of moving up to?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69