Please HELP!! Wife's truck currently Found On Road Dead!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

OlSchool0097

Reaction score
Oh .. Opps I've already removed it from the truck now .. I think I'm just going to pick one up at the wreckers and see if that fixes it .. I'll keep you posted

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your voltage while running was low. There's a good possibility it's the alternator, but could also be a fault in the wiring going from the alternator to the battery. It'd be a good idea to check for continuity in that circuit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Provided the alternator gets you going again, I would keep an eye on that battery as well. It should be at 13V+ with the truck running, but it may just still be a bit low due to being drained.

OP
OP
O

OlSchool0097

Reaction score
Ok I will watch for those as well .. How do I tell if the alt 110 amp or 130 .. I don't see it listed on it anywhere

OP
OP
O

OlSchool0097

Reaction score
Ok I'm back from the wreckers .. I've installed the alt and now my readings are ..

12.30 Battery with the truck not started
13.4 battery truck started

I'm guessing the alt is working but I still have the battery indicator and the check charging system on the dash .. I'm going to full charge the battery with the trickle charger and see if the lights go out

OP
OP
O

OlSchool0097

Reaction score
Also 1 more thing .. The Alt I got was actually from a F150 but it looks the exact same as mine same pulley and connection .. I know mine is only supposed to be compatible with 03-04 expedition and navigator .. Will it be ok to use? Thx again for all your help :)

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok I'm back from the wreckers .. I've installed the alt and now my readings are ..

12.30 Battery with the truck not started
13.4 battery truck started

I'm guessing the alt is working but I still have the battery indicator and the check charging system on the dash .. I'm going to full charge the battery with the trickle charger and see if the lights go out

Those numbers are on point, but it sounds like you still have a problem. The battery light actually indicates a problem with the charging system. Perhaps the junkyard alternator is shot also or perhaps your problem lies elsewhere (e.g. wiring).

Also 1 more thing .. The Alt I got was actually from a F150 but it looks the exact same as mine same pulley and connection .. I know mine is only supposed to be compatible with 03-04 expedition and navigator .. Will it be ok to use? Thx again for all your help :)

I imagine it would be fine, but look up both vehicles on Official Ford Parts Site | Buy Motorcraft & OEM Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com and see if they use the same alternator.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to assume the F150 is not an 03 or 04 and that the alt is from an older F150. The charging voltage is low - range s/b 13.5 to 14.5 volts. It may charge the battery but at a slower rate than necessary.

What year F150 did you pull it from?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Love this post Reminds me of people that LOOK at fuses and say it looked good. But they don't test it to see if its good. Wonder why people just don't look at the battery when the vehicle won't start. And say IT LOOKS GOOD.

Looks can be deceiving.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris420