Plug blow out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ray young

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my rear drivers side spark plug blew out. im wondering is it worth buying a kit and taping all the plug holes or just have the one taped and helicoiled? and about how much does getting one plug repaired cost?

thanks
ray

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Bill Lehman

Reaction score
I can't see any reason to do more than the one that blew out, you are asking for trouble as they are more likely to fail/blow out on the repair. I had one go and had my indy do it for around the same price as RichardH stated above. The first repair did not hold and it blew again...but he put in a different kit the second time and it held.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't see any reason to do more than the one that blew out, you are asking for trouble as they are more likely to fail/blow out on the repair. I had one go and had my indy do it for around the same price as RichardH stated above. The first repair did not hold and it blew again...but he put in a different kit the second time and it held.

Interesting. From what I've read the spark plugs only have a few turns and that promotes this type of failure.

I've also read that some re-manufactured engines have all 8 steel inserts installed. My shop took their time and used I think loc-tite for the insert. The steel inserts I do believe give the plugs more turns and are more reliable.

Pretty sure these kits are steel insert like the one installed on my last truck not a helicoil.

Still I only did one also.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First....try a new plug in the hole and torque to the revised spec which is higher than original.

If it tightens up leave it alone!
I have had several that blew out and no thread damage. Yes there is only about 3.5 threads in there BUT....often the plug slowly loosens up until the last half and not real damage.

Then you need to tighten all the others to spec.
You DO NOT have to remove them or loosen.
I bet you will find 2-3 scary loose.
I like to blow out plug well with blow gun shop air then tighten them up.

No reason to fix any that are not stripped. If you tighten now they will not loosen and will never strip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65