Positive Battery Pole Corrosion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A while back while doing a engine bay check, I noticed lots of corrosion on the positive battery terminal. I purchased a terminal cleaning kit and completed the clean up and reinstalling the wires. Yesterday I again noticed that it's starting again. What would cause this to reappear? I have a 2107 Ford Expedition Limited, Ecoboost V6, with only 30,000 miles. Thanks in advance for your help.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A while back while doing a engine bay check, I noticed lots of corrosion on the positive battery terminal. I purchased a terminal cleaning kit and completed the clean up and reinstalling the wires. Yesterday I again noticed that it's starting again. What would cause this to reappear? I have a 2107 Ford Expedition Limited, Ecoboost V6, with only 30,000 miles. Thanks in advance for your help.

I bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4. I take meticulous care of the vehicle, or have repairs and maintenance done that I cannot do.

Since new, the positive battery terminal connector would often become covered in corrosion. I repeatedly removed and cleaned the connector. The positive connector had a red vinyl cover over it.

The positive connector corrosion continued, despite the my removal and cleaning.

I eventuallly replaced the original battery with a new Motorcraft one (before the old one died, before winter arrived), same specification. The corrosion stopped with the new battery.

My belief is that the original Ford battery had a leak at the positive battery terminal where it entered the top case, which allowed acid fumes to leak and accumulate under the red vinyl protective cover - causing the corrosion.

The negative battery post and connector has never had any corrosion.

OP
OP
barrydu4

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. Will bring her in tomorrow to have the battery checked.

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased a terminal cleaning kit and completed the clean up and reinstalling the wires.

Did the kit include a chemical cleaner and protectant? I use both products below and haven't seen corrosion in a very long time.

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In a pinch I have used regular wheel bearing grease with good results also. They sell small packets of grease for battery terminals at the auto parts store for less than a couple bucks.
1632670271595.jpeg

OP
OP
barrydu4

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I brought the Expedition in today. It was leaking acid around the positive pole. Replaced the battery. All is working fine.

cywebit

Reaction score
Same issue on my 2016 Expy. Needed a new batt last year, positive terminal so corroded I took to the dealer to purchase a new battery. Took like 4 guys from the shop and about 1.5hrs to finally remove it. They actually could not remove it, the pulled the entire post out of the battery! After new battery it looked good until I checked about 6 months ago and corrosion is coming back!!!

Wegner44

Reaction score
I have found the best way to eliminate battery corrosion is a good coating of synthetic lithium grease on the terminal and connector after you make the connection and tighten it down. Since I started this practice I have been corrosion free for years and years. Very simple and maintenance free.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It appears that mine had the same problem. I cleaned it at every oil change (3500mi) but it still damaged the terminal. I'm now struggling with rerplacing the terminal without changing the battery harness.

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I go through hundreds of batteries at work (electric lifts) and we started using red electrical varnish on the terminals. It's almost completely eliminated corrosion on the terminals.