Possibility of going to a 3.73 on a 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those 351 Windsors actually made decently good low end torque. Likely was the lackluster transmission in those years that was the problem not so much the motor. The old 4 speeds sapped a lot of power from it.
Yeah has an E4OD .... before the gear change it would drop all the way back in 2nd gear pulling hills while towing and run 65 mph in 2nd wound up tight to pull the hills, if I let it up shift to 3rd it would loose all it’s steam and look for 2nd to bail it back out. Not anymore with the 4.10’s but it still doesn’t come close to The towing guts of my 3.73 geared 3.5 Expy. That little engine truly does amaze me, it doesn’t even struggle a little bit even towing more of a load.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah has an E4OD .... before the gear change it would drop all the way back in 2nd gear pulling hills while towing and run 65 mph in 2nd wound up tight to pull the hills, if I let it up shift to 3rd it would loose all it’s steam and look for 2nd to bail it back out. Not anymore with the 4.10’s but it still doesn’t come close to The towing guts of my 3.73 geared 3.5 Expy. That little engine truly does amaze me, it doesn’t even struggle a little bit even towing more of a load.

4.10s are great for towing for sure. Today’s motors have a lot more output but the oldies still hold their own. The 5.4L Triton which replaced the Windsor series puts down close to the same torque as Fords old 7.5L big block and handily more than the 5.8L, we’ve come a long way. Hopping out of the old 5.8 4 speed and into the Ecoboost 6 speed must be night and day. Both will get the job done though, just in different time.

Last edited:

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4.10s are great for towing for sure. Today’s motors have a lot more output but the oldies still hold their own. The 5.4L Triton which replaced the Windsor series puts down close to the same torque as Fords old 7.5L big block and handily more than the 5.8L, we’ve come a long way. Hopping out of the old 5.8 4 speed and into the Ecoboost 6 speed must be night and day. Both will get the job done though, just in different time.
My 08 5.4 -2valve in my E350 van has 4.10’s as well. It tows my dump trailer with skid loader pretty good with the 5R110W trans. Definitely has more guts than the Windsor and it’s E4OD. Anyone that does a lot of heavy towing with a gas engine ,should definitely have some lower ratio gears to ease the strain on the engine.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 08 5.4 -2valve in my E350 van has 4.10’s as well. It tows my dump trailer with skid loader pretty good with the 5R110W trans. Definitely has more guts than the Windsor and it’s E4OD. Anyone that does a lot of heavy towing with a gas engine ,should definitely have some lower ratio gears to ease the strain on the engine.

My dad has a high mileage 08’ E-350 5.4 2V with 4.10s sitting around as well. It has decent low end grunt with the lower gearing, close to my 3.73 expy I’d say. However the 3V does show its extra power and pulls quite a bit harder when you put your foot down. Different animals though, expy has 6R trans and different heads. The 2V with 4.10s is a great fit for those vans, I’d say it was the best setup available. I agree, when working with a gas job lower gear ratios is a huge help. Just depends whether you’ve got the time and energy for the swap lol, like what our OP is wondering. I’m thinking he’s going to decide against it.

Last edited:

limitedex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m sure thankful for my OE 3.73. Ole 5.4 needs all the help she can get.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65