Powered sub in factory location.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im starting to consider fixing up my muddy speaker system and in the future getting an android auto receiver in the expedition. I was going to get infinity reference, but the pioneer have a what seems to be much better stats for near half the price. Hoping to get away with coaxials in the doors and keep the factory tweets for a while and I cannot seem to find info on what works as far as powered subs in this truck.

I have an old (circa 2002ish) kenwood woox powered sub thats seen better days that I toyed with installing, but I worry that the 5.25in + 6.5in passive woofers wont be enough especially being so old and having been used in 5 different vehicles. Im wondering what powered subs yall have used in the factory location and how they worked. Im not looking for thumping bass, rather a fully complemented sound system with nice features. Was considering an infinity basslink or MTX thunderlink and with the receiver Im looking at Id have to get signal from the rear speakers for the sub. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a factory sub now? I have an 8" sub in the factory box wired to a 500W amp that fit behind the same panel. Sounds much better than stock sub did with the Lincoln THX system after a little sound deadening.

For speakers go to a local brick and mortal and have a listen, sound is subjective. IMHO the Polk db series are great entry level speakers and would take them over the Infinitys. The Pioneer 1720s are great as well, I haven't heard the 1730s yet but I heard they look like build quality went down. I haven't heard them though.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when u say "powered" sub...does it come in an enclosure already with built in amp or is it just a regular sub that is powered by an amp...where do u plan on putting it...in the enclosure or in the cargo area?

OP
OP
A

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a factory sub now? I have an 8" sub in the factory box wired to a 500W amp that fit behind the same panel. Sounds much better than stock sub did with the Lincoln THX system after a little sound deadening.

For speakers go to a local brick and mortal and have a listen, sound is subjective. IMHO the Polk db series are great entry level speakers and would take them over the Infinitys. The Pioneer 1720s are great as well, I haven't heard the 1730s yet but I heard they look like build quality went down. I haven't heard them though.

No I have the factory "premium" system without sub. I have owned alot of speaker brands and pioneer, infinity, old school blaupunkt, and kenwood top the list. As I can get the pioneer cheaper at best buy with adapters then at crutchfield Ill obviously listen to them. If money goes well Id love to do a 6x8 coaxial in the rear and a component 6x8 in the front.

The choice will be made on infinity reference and pioneer when I compare the ones in store to the reference speakers in my jeep.

when u say "powered" sub...does it come in an enclosure already with built in amp or is it just a regular sub that is powered by an amp...where do u plan on putting it...in the enclosure or in the cargo area?

I want an easy install (wiring and tuning wise) and in the factory location. Whether that be to factory brackets or I go to Home Depot racing and fab what I need and I need it behind the panel in the factory location. Gone are the days where I am remotely OK with car mods taking up space in my truck. So when it comes to ease of install in this location a powered sub is probably the best way to compliment good speakers for a non audiophile who likes clean sounding music.

Plus Im not good at tuning and setting up traditional amps/systems.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would suggest 6.5" components up front. Many more options and better value for the money. I thought the Pioneer 1720s were great but they are discontinued. I have heard their replacement 1730s yet to comment. Between the 1720 and infinity I would say Pioneer but have a listen and decide what sounds better to you.

If you do not have a factory sub you would need to find a panel from a truck that does or make a cutout and grill for your panel if you want to put a sub in the factory location. If money isn't a concern JL has a single 10" that includes a grill. There is probably room for a smaller amp behind the panel. I have the factory sub amp, a JBL sub amp and the factory box in my shorty Navi. The JL box is bigger bit the XLT would most likely give you room for something like a Alpine PDX V9 or PPI 900.5

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since he says he wants easy setup I would suggest 2 or 3 way speakers in all doors and for the sub/ amp u can install yourself and then go to an audio shop to tune...OR just take them he setup...wires included and they'll do it for about $100...jl audio stealth box will fit in that spot and all u need is an amp...wiring up an amp is really easy...the only thing to decide is where it gonna hook up the remote wire...at the head unit or fuse box...head unit is preferred but not necessary

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since he says he wants easy setup I would suggest 2 or 3 way speakers in all doors and for the sub/ amp u can install yourself and then go to an audio shop to tune...OR just take them he setup...wires included and they'll do it for about $100...jl audio stealth box will fit in that spot and all u need is an amp...wiring up an amp is really easy...the only thing to decide is where it gonna hook up the remote wire...at the head unit or fuse box...head unit is preferred but not necessary

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

True. The only reason I said components is he mentioned it. For coax I'd just keep 6x8s. For comps You have to spend decent money for something decent. There are a ton of halfway decent 6.5 comps.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I have 6.5s in my truck and will be adding another set in each door...an 8" in each door...the tweeters and a supertweeter in each door

OP
OP
A

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Reason I want components upfront is to replace the tweeters and speaker as well as I dont want a 2-3way speaker AND a tweeter as that just seems like too much highs. Probably going to wait on the sub for a while as Id rather get an android auto and bluetooth enabled radio over more bass.

Hoping this can be a summer project.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crutchfield.com to see ur options that are currently out...I want the pioneer 8200 NEX

Mr. 10K