Powertrain fault- loss of lower gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timmaaay4

Reaction score
Just went to drop my kids off this morning. Remote started the vechiles about 5 mins before we left. Backed up came to a full stop and waited a couple of seconds after I moved the selector from reverse to drive before taking my foot off the brake. But it hesitated in reverse before moving forward. Then I received a message in the display with a big orange wrench and a message that said check the manual. See the attached picture from my ford app.
The gearing in drive would not go below forth gear and I had no torque. I but It in manual mode to see if I had 1st,2nd, or 3rd gear. I believe it just showed I it but I was really still in 4th as it didn't feel any differently.

After I got home I turned off and restarted wrench still there but I had the lower gears back.

My vehicle is a 2019 limited Max with about 53,000 mi on it.
a8c2fbd0158144d6b7d5b99857963a9c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine just went yesterday for this same issue and needed a PCM update. However mine is a 2018 so you being a 2019 should already be running a newer version of the PCM code than I had.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your power train warranty should still be in effect. I would take the vehicle to a Ford dealer, to retrieve any codes and fix the vehicle. You could show them the picture you posted.

Pmm150

Reaction score
I have same issue with my 2020 Platinum max with 42k miles. Parts are out of stock and wont be updated until July 15th. The dealership has had my vehicle for almost 2 weeks now. Escalated with Ford Corporate with tracked case #. All covered by powertrain warranty. Issues: 10 speed automatic transmission slips out of gear. Only way to resolve is to "coast" over to side of road and put into Park mode then back to Drive mode. Scary!

TugboatExpedition

Reaction score
I have a 2018 XLT with 63k miles. This same alert with the orange wrench appeared on the dash since the morning temps dropped. When starting up in the morning transmission temp displays about 60F and if I let it warm to 90-100F it will shift fine. Any cooler and it up shifts poorly and twice activated this alert since weather has cooled off.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got these alerts on my app couple times and the Ford dealer said no codes were stored. Last time it happened, the Expedition was hesitated or spluttered when I stepped on the gas. Turned it off and 30 minutes later, no wrench symbol on the dash and it drove fine.