Pre-Warranty Expiration Checklist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Overtow

Reaction score
So I've had my 2018 XLT 202a w/TrailerTow for just north of 24 months and almost 30k miles. I've yet to take it into the shop for anything, but I'm going to do that in the next few weeks to get the process going on things that need to be fixed.

Here is my current list:

1. Cold Start Rattle (sigh)
2. Random rough idle - seems to be related to heat being on which makes me think its vacuum related.
3. Sunroof seems to stick too much when opening.
4. Sideview mirrors go crazy (this is a software update, should be an easy fix)
5. The cover popped off one of my rear seatbelts, making it tough for the kids to insert the hook into the latch.

All in all, the truck has been good. I change the oil/filters myself and will be doing that soon, this time installing the quick disconnect mentioned in some other topics.

What else should I have the shop inspect? What are the 'known' issues that I should be prepping for now that I've got 6000 miles of warranty left?

I've been watching for Flood to have a deal on extended warranty prices, but so far no luck. One sunroof or audio/electronics issue would probably pay for the warranty, I should probably just pull the trigger...

Thoughts?

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Problems I had with my Generation 1 before warranty ended.

COP's and plugs failing , logged misfires and bad enough for CEL.

Too much play in front steering due to excess wear in tie rod ends and the steering shaft. Check for play. On mine, the mechanics glossed over the steering shaft wear "parts not in stock", I never got it done, just a worn pittman arm.

Then out of warranty I find that the aluminum knuckle at the steering box end is totally worn through. Now a $750 repair out of warranty. Splines gone, the steel shaft on the steering box carved the aluminum right out.

Take to an independent mechanic, to do a 60 point inspection, pay him to go over it and submit a repair estimate.

Highlightreel

Reaction score
Overtow, I recommend filling out info on Lombard and Flood Ford sites in regards to the warranty. Then wait for them to start emailing YOU to sign up. I did that just to see what's what with Lombard and I later received emails from them offering greater discounts and better pricing. Worth a shot.

KSC 2019 XLT

Reaction score
Flood Ford and Anderson & Koch Ford have the same extended warranty prices and are cheaper than Lombard. I haven't bought yet but plan on getting the 8 year/125k mile with either $100 or $200 deductible.

Scadu

Reaction score
Both my 2012 and 2017 had shock and strut problems. October, left rear strut/shock replaced under warranty and it may either have blown again or now the right rear. Common problem but no recalls!

tim5055

Reaction score
So I've had my 2018 XLT 202a w/TrailerTow for just north of 24 months and almost 30k miles. I've yet to take it into the shop for anything, but I'm going to do that in the next few weeks to get the process going on things that need to be fixed.

Here is my current list:

1. Cold Start Rattle (sigh)

This would be the cam timing phasers. It is a well know problem with a TSB out there.

I would read thru the current 2018 Ford Expedition Technical Service Bulletins and see if yo have any of the issues so you can get it done now-

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Expedition/2018/tsbs/

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 just had the passenger side defrost connector come off the glass. This appears to be an issue with many 2018s. I had the rear pinion seal just done as it was leaking.

OP
OP
O

Overtow

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll let you know what they check/fix/disagree with.

Happy new year!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jimmy123x

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Ford Expedition 2wd limited with 21k miles on it, took delivery new June1 2018. I've had all shocks/struts replaced under warranty (the vehicle has never even seen a gravel road, always smooth paved roads). Also the gear display stopped working and they fixed that under warranty. Passenger side door speaker is blown. Other than that it has been a very good vehicle.