Problems at low rpm's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Yancey

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Expedition 4x4 with the 5.4 engine. It has started studdering when taking off, just like when a carburetor had a dead spot, the engine service light came on when coming home. Planning to get it read in the morning, just wondering which way to go.
Thank you!

OP
OP
Scott Yancey

Scott Yancey

Reaction score
I went to Advance Auto this morning and had my truck scanned and it's throwing 2 codes, P0301 and P1000. Any info will be appricated.

B

bedrck46

P0301 is Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
I would replace the # 1 Plug and Coil if you don't install a new coil then at least replace the boot and use dielectric grease on the boot wire Check the coil connector for any signs of corrosion and clean the contact area also look at the area where the coil spring make contact inside of the coil connection that area seems to get corrosion on it

P1000 is On Board Diagnostics II Monitor/Drive Cycle Test Not Complete Most likely the result of having the codes reset or disconnecting the battery This is a normal code to have when the above was done It will reset itself after the drive cycle has been completed Normally after driving about 50 miles or less

OP
OP
Scott Yancey

Scott Yancey

Reaction score
I got the coil out and the boot looks dry rotted, so I'm going by the parts store in the morning to pick one up, I had the plugs changed when I had the heads changed about 1200 miles ago, kinda scared about messing with the plugs from reading all the horror stories on the forum here.

B

bedrck46

the big thing about plugs for the first gen's is to make sure they are torqued to specs 16 to 20 ft/lbs

if the boot was dry rotted it may have been shorting out.

install a new boot and use dielectric grease on the inside of the boot and the coil spring and you may be ok at that point