being amazed at how excellent the 4g Expedition drives....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was coming home from a Thanksgiving visit to my brother's, after spending the night. He lives in Marin County, I live in Santa Cruz, we (wife+me)decided to take the coast route home in spite of post thanksgiving 'sunday traffic'.... Stopped in Half Moon Bay for lunch at a diner we'd never tried before (it was awful), while eating, I noted a fire truck followed by an ambulance blasting southbound on 1, and 10 or 15 mins later, another fire truck. whoa.

left the diner, headed south, and when we were just about in the middle of nowhere, we came upon stopped cars. initially it was stop and crawl, I figured we'd get through but during one of the longer stops, I looked up highway 1 on the CHP's incident report website, and whoa, there was a fatality just ahead, something about a GMC Yukon 'fully involved'. after nearly an hours delay, word came back that they were saying '3-4 hours', so I decided to join everyone else in turning around. Highway One north was bad with all the people who'd jsut turned around, but I knew just a few miles up was Tunitas Creek Rd, a narrow gnarly road that twists up a coastal canyon lined with redwood trees and ends up at Skyline Drive aka highway 35 on the top of the Peninsula...

I continue to be amazed at how well this big SUV composes itself on narrow twisty roads with all kinda difficult driving.

From the top of Tunitas, we took 35 south to 9 south through Boulder Creek, and Felton, then back to our Santa Cruz abode, 9 is considered a premiere motorcycle road, and I certainy rode my old beemer bike up and down it a bunch going to or from various places.

I think our Expedition Limited Stealth with the CCDS, sitting on 18" F150 wheels rides better under gnarly conditions than most any car we've had short of my wife's old 1994 Mercedes with its hydraulic load leveling. The Ford had that same 'no drama' feel the Mercedes, even when I had to abruptly slow way down real fast for an oncoming car and put two wheels on the dirt so they could squeeze by on that one lane road. And on the faster 2 lane 35 and 9 highways, which are both continuous turns, it rode level without any body lean or bounce/bobble.

The hour home on 1 stretched into a 3 hour tour that took us through some scenic places we'd not visited in some years. Was very glad I made a point of learning every road on the coast side of the Peninsula many years ago, because the mainstream alternative was going all the way back to Half Moon Bay, then joining the crawl of cars over 92 to I280, then freeway back to the 4-lane highway 17 over the mountains, likely would have been heavy traffic the whole way, UGH!

I've had a few trucks before. not counting the 1965 F100 6 cyl 3-speed that we used as a dump run junker... we had a 2001 E150 passenger van, a 2008 toyota tacoma trd offroad 4x4, a 2002 F250 diesel longbed 4x4, and they all drove like trucks in the mountains, wallowing around turns.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ours is a rear drive Platinum and it has the 3.73 axle, CCDS and 22” wheels. I too am very impressed with its power and its handling for what it is. It is also the quietest vehicle I've ever been in. And im not easily impressed.

I’ve owned two BMW 5 series M-Sports, Audi A7s, seven Corvettes my last being a Z06 among lots of other vehicles, and i have road racing experience (on motorcycles). Im not naive enough to compare the Expedition to them, but I've also owned many big SUVs and pickups. Like i said, “for what it is” it is awfully nice.

OP
OP
Left Coast Geek

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine came with 22's, I replaced them with 18's from a late model f150. /65 instead of /45 series tires really helps the ride on rough stuff, pot holes, etc. my wife's daily driver is a 2016 Mercedes E350 4matic wagon, with /45 tires on 17" rims, the Expedition has a smoother ride on rough roads. We had to shop long and hard to find a 2016 E with 17's and the comfort suspension, most had 18's with /40 tires and lower 'sports' suspension, even worse. I really don't understand the trend thats led us to these ultra low profile tires being on everything. I can understand it on a corvette or Porsche or M series, but on a mom's grocery getter? WTF?

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree that the trend towards super low profile tires makes no sense to me. Two vehicles back (my wife’s vehicles) we had a Lexus GX460. I felt invincible in that on rough roads.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I honestly thought my 18 4x4 Max with CCD handled like $hit. I swapped the front and rear sway bars and it handles like a sports car compared to a blimp now. I know its still a big tall SUV, but the improvements were incredible. It just lays on the road 3X better now. No wandering from Semi wind and road imperfections and big dips that Made it bobble all over the road before.
I bought mine brand new, so it wasn't clapped out, and I swapped the sway bars shortly after because I hated it so much stock.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 18 expy and now 20 nav have been great driving vehicles. For their size they handle great compared to its contemporary and even some crossovers. And outside the truck jiggle and occasional heavy step, the ride is great, especially on the hwy.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like how it drives. Mine has ccd and it took about a week to adjust to the floaty Buick feel. I like it now. I think things will be better when the hankrooks die And I can get a real tire under it.

I wish sport suspension setting could be defaulted and with normal or eco trans mode. Sport does feel better to me. Can’t handle the trans behavior though and having to fool with it every time.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like how it drives. Mine has ccd and it took about a week to adjust to the floaty Buick feel. I like it now. I think things will be better when the hankrooks die And I can get a real tire under it.

I wish sport suspension setting could be defaulted and with normal or eco trans mode. Sport does feel better to me. Can’t handle the trans behavior though and having to fool with it every time.
The sway bars make it feel even better than it does in sport WITHOUT the transmission going into full retard!

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it wasn't for the power, acceleration, and drivability, I probably would have already ditched it. The vehicles actually been pretty reliable over the last 18months but it spent a ton of time in the dealer and likely needs another phaser swap. The worst part is Ford, it's quality and customer service as it relates to repairs. Feels like the moment you use service, they want to prove you're either wrong or it's your fault. Not at all the customer care I've had even from Jeep, let alone Acura and the likes of Genesis, Toyota, etc.

20Expy

Reaction score
Is it just me that is used to driving smaller crossovers and sedans, or is it our 2020 Plat Max with 22" inch rims riding terribly? At highway speeds over small imperfections it's actually great, but when it comes to slower speeds and bigger bumps, it feels stiff and the body seems to move all over the place.

For cornering, the it leans quite a lot as well imo. I once sat in a car driving behind our Expy at relatively high speeds through long, high speed sweepers and it's almost comical seeing how much the car leans from behind.

That said, the engine is absolutely nuts and pulls like a freight train, absolutely LOVE it! Only if the 10 speed can be a touch smoother when driving at city speeds (especially when coasting to a stop), it would have been our favorite drivetrain.

Lastly, do you guys know if the suspension setup/tuning is any different from our 2020 Platinum and the 2022 and up models? What is CCD (sorry if it's something obvious)? And am I expecting too much from a 5k lbs truck?

Honestly, we really love our Expy apart from the terrible brakes that don't inspire any confidence at all. That will luckily be replaced tomorrow. Super excited to see how they feel!
Oh, also curious if the facelifted brakes are any better, or is do they still use the same terrible parts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett