Problems with my '99.......and hello

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sirchivalry

Reaction score
I'm new here, so thought you all might be able to help me. I just bought a '99 EB with 81,000 miles, but am having a few problems.

1.....when accelerating hard, it sounds like a blower under the hood. Took it to the dealer and he said it's the clutch fan and that it's normal. Is that right?

2.....sometimes the ABS light comes on, but when you shut it off, it goes out for a day, then comes back on.

3.....when in gear and idling, it sounds like it has a miss. The dealer said this is normal. The miss isn't bad, but it gets on my nerves. It has great power and doesn't lag. I don't think the plugs have ever been changed.

4.....when put into gear, there is a "clunk" coming from the rear. Is this the U-joint?

btw, when the dealership does a tune-up, what is usually included? Also, what do they normally charge to put it on the machine to check everything?

thanks alot in advance,

JC

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have a '99 XLT
1.....mine does this too
2.....never had this happen, but i do have some electrical gremlins
3.....never had this happen either. i have 125K on the original plugs.
4.....at 75-80K miles mine developed a *clunk*(my clunk happend when i was stopping and starting). mine was still under warranty, so the dealer replaced the drive shaft. the new drive shaft made the same *clunk* noise. turned out i need the slip yoke lubed. FORD makes a special lube for it, i'm not sure if there's anything out there at an auto parts store that will work (i'm sure there is and maybe someone on this forum knows what it is).
I'm now getting the *clunk* when i put it in gear, i just assumed that i needed to get the slip yoke lubed again.

geeserteg

Reaction score
1. Yes that sounds right .. probably when hot
2. Could be a dirty wheel speed sensor
3. tune-up needed
4. with your foot on the brake does it have a big clunk going from D to R?