proper inflation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Half the people nowadays that ride limos are either drunks or drug dealers with their "friends"...…….you know that
Exactly what city or what area are you in?? Very few people actually ride around in limos today.
It does vary greatly and some markets are still busy but most markets are simply a hollow shell of what they used to be.
The majority of people that ride in limos today are part of a wedding party.

We rarely do any 21st birthdays or any birthdays are Bachelor or Bachelorette parties anymore. The party crowd has died off as there's just not enough people with enough money to spend to go out. Weddings are super expensive so the limo ends up being one of the lowest expenses of the whole day. The last handful of jobs we have done I've been weddings and a birthday for some 13 year old kids. We get far more young kids birthdays than we do bar-hopping partying birthdays.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
So you know about the addict transporters, thats good.
A middle eastern, Excursion limo owner, was arrested a couple of years ago. 20 people were killed, when the modified/stretched 2001 Excursion, lost control on steep hill. One of the reason was an overloaded vehicle and safety issues

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A middle eastern, Excursion limo owner, was arrested a couple of years ago. 20 people were killed, when the modified/stretched 2001 Excursion, lost control on steep hill. One of the reason was an overloaded vehicle and safety issues
I know about that well as that's all anyone was talking about in the limo business for a few weeks. Very rarely do people die in limo crashes so there is a lot of gossip about it when something does happen.
That vehicle was a rusted out piece of crap in a New York climate that had tons of rust and already been put out of service at least once if not two to three times for needed repairs or for repairs not being completed properly. It was not even supposed to be on the road. It also sounds like that guy would use any particular driver he could find any time just to cover a run. A very haphazardly run limo company. The guy driving probably wasn't well-versed with old beat-up vehicles and knowing what to do to stay safer. My guess is a brake line burst. On an Excursion you have one brake line that sends fluid to the rear brakes. When it pops your pedal goes to the floor and you only have about 30 to 40% of your braking ability from your fronts. And that's only until you run out of fluid.
It would be nice to know whether it was the first time the pedal went to the floor or if it failed a little earlier and he was trying to milk it on through the run as so many people do.
With judicious use of the brake pedal and then using the parking brake with the handle pulled and turning overdrive off and even gearing down into second to slow you down on Hills, you can make stopping the vehicle much safer and much more probable.
It was a rusty vehicle in poor condition and just so happen to be on a very known dangerous road going downhill and teeing off at a stop sign where they have had a good number of accidents.
He was probably barely on down that road at far too great of a speed.
I was greatly surprised to see that everyone in the back was killed. There were 17 in the rear two people on the ground that he hit got killed and the driver. For a total of 20.
I assumed that it probably went Airborne or bounced and most all the injuries were head and neck injuries that killed them. More than likely from bouncing into the roof. With 17 people flying forward even on a head-on collision like the safety test they do into brick walls, the bodies in the front would at least cushion the blow for some of the people in the rear and I just don't think everyone would be killed. I think this was a lot of slamming people up into the roof situation for no one to survive. I think the only had his speed nothing over 58 to 62 so it wasn't super excessive as far as Strait on collisions butt bouncing someone up into the ceiling can be a different story.

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
Yeah but what about the picture in the OP?

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
Oh that? Well the Ex that blew the stop sign, went on a wild ride, and killed 20 people was running Michlens at 40 PSI but it didn't help.
You're the best man. I'm there for you when you need help. Not. You're about as much help as Trump in a global pandemic.

MrTobe may have answered my question but I'll never know! Ha!

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're the best man. I'm there for you when you need help. Not. You're about as much help as Trump in a global pandemic.

I'm not sure what the question was referring to. The original post?? If you mean by yours and the original question posed when the thread opened ...how does the tire look with this much air in it? It looks okay but maybe five or six pounds low in my opinion. It's not bulging excessively though. You might get longer wear or better fuel mileage with a few more pounds but the only accurate way to determine from there would be the chalk method and see how evenly the line wears.

On the crash Excursion, I don't recall reading what brand of tires or what PSI was in them but it should have had load range e tires and they should have been inflated much more than 40 PSI, more like at least seventy if not the actual rated maximum load capacity of 80. Even if they were standing michelins they would still say 44 max PSI on the sidewalk but you should never put a standard load tire on a stretch Excursion. They do not come from the factory that way. There were plenty of town car and other sedan limos that came from the factory with standard tires depending on the stretch length and some came from the factory with tires that probably shouldn't have been on the vehicle to begin with but every stretch SUV I have ever seen especially excursions that come from the coachbuilder have load range E tires on them.
Most coachbuilders even have their own sticker to place inside the driver's door jam that tells you what size tire to use specifies it is a load range E and requires 80 psi inflation because that's the only safe way to do it. You can't be running around with a heavy vehicle like that with standard tires or load range e tires with 50 psi because they are not up to carrying the load you are trying to haul.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Obviously you don't know my qualifications and you might need my help someday, don't be a wise guy.