proper inflation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Those are not the same as factory tires. 10ply will ride terrible and be loud down the road. Running higher psi, will make for a worse ride.

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
Those are not the same as factory tires. 10ply will ride terrible and be loud down the road. Running higher psi, will make for a worse ride.
Well, I'm on my third set of LTs on an Expy and that's not my experience. Drove west on I90 all day today .. quiet smooth and a great ride. Road got snow and icy around Toledo was glad for those tires. Expy with great tires 4WD and traction control is one sweet ride in adverse conditions. I'll be testing it in Rockies soon

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Not with a good tire.
My Falken Wildpeaks are 10 ply and with the windows up there is zero noticeable noise difference from the factory Goodyear’s. My ride is fantastic and better than stock in my opinion but I did Bilsteins at the same time.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They don't always make it worse ride. Now if you take a load range E Tire inflate them all the way to 80 psi hit will ride firmer and might feel quite bumpy but there's really no reason to go that high if it's not a vehicle that you're loading giant pieces of sheet metal or concrete block or bags of cement into. Anywhere between 50 and 70 pounds should be where you should experiment with this to see where it rides best for you.
I have run a few of the E450 and 550 any buses that had the 225 75 16 load range E Tire on them and when I first put some Cooper Brand Tires on there even though they were load range e they felt like a lot more sidewall Flex than the previous michelins that were on there. It seemed like the steering was sloppy and mushy.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They don't always make it worse ride. Now if you take a load range E Tire inflate them all the way to 80 psi hit will ride firmer and might feel quite bumpy but there's really no reason to go that high if it's not a vehicle that you're loading giant pieces of sheet metal or concrete block or bags of cement into. Anywhere between 50 and 70 pounds should be where you should experiment with this to see where it rides best for you.
I have run a few of the E450 and 550 any buses that had the 225 75 16 load range E Tire on them and when I first put some Cooper Brand Tires on there even though they were load range e they felt like a lot more sidewall Flex than the previous michelins that were on there. It seemed like the steering was sloppy and mushy.
My 8000 pound Excursion always ran E rated tires and I ran them at 60 pounds but 50 would have worked. If I jacked them up to 80 I would definitely feel every little bump even though that is where they would have been at their strongest.

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
I think this discussion relates back to my OP. On my Expy at the current load (weight) if I ran them at 32 , you would see a different contact patch. More gushy. You have to run them higher psi at that load. For much higher loads in order to get that contact patch , you need to run higher psi and tires can handle it. At least that's my theory.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 8000 pound Excursion always ran E rated tires and I ran them at 60 pounds but 50 would have worked. If I jacked them up to 80 I would definitely feel every little bump even though that is where they would have been at their strongest.
I believe the Excursion is only about 7400 pounds and that's only if it's a diesel . The V10s top out at about 6600 to 6800 but they are still heavy vehicles.
I too, would think that they would ride harder at 80 psi but I have heard a couple of people post to the contrary. One person actually stated that their vehicle Road better at 80 with load range e tires than it did at a lower pressure which I think was around 55.
All of my Excursions have been 36-40 foot stretch limos and weight just under 10k empty. For these, hou can't run the tires at 50psi if you are going to put people in them.
When I first got one of them I would let 62 psi alone but then started going to a min of 72.
Then when I started doing the math I like to stay closer to the max load psi of 80 printed on the tires.
This is one application where the is no big safety margin like a regular passenger car with even standard load tires. Most would be impossible to overload unless you filled them with bags of cement, blocks, or thick iron.
There is also a fairly major difference even in different sizes of load E tires.
I think one had 265 75 16 and another had 235 80 16.
One is about 3085 at 80 but only 2314 at 60 psi.
The 235/80 is about 3520 at 80psi.
That's 1500lbs more for tires that look smaller.
Amazingly tires will take a lot more than rated loads for a long time.
Over 20 years ago I saw standard P tires on many 10 and even 14 pass limos many that were already over 7500lbs empty. Then add 12-14 people and it is amazing the re weren't blow outs but they held up fine. Not a lot of miles on them with those loads but still they had to often be way over the max load.
I also saw 12-14 pass with factory Lincoln air spring susp still in rear that lasted for years until they started leaking but never blew out.
Standard industry practice became to replace with strong coil springs in rear and raise the rear up some too on anything bigger than 8-10 pass 120 inch but I saw several with bags and they lasted well.
Most 120s still had factory air bladder springs.
I had one pop on a run in 2003. Sounded like a shot gun at the right rear tire!
Had to put one person up front and readjust everyone with heaviest people in forward part or rear of limo and smallest people in the far rear and drive slowly low ridering in the rear to get them the last 1.5 mile or so to the corporate lunch place.
Dropped them and ran back to get a different limo.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe the Excursion is only about 7400 pounds and that's only if it's a diesel . The V10s top out at about 6600 to 6800 but they are still heavy vehicles.
I too, would think that they would ride harder at 80 psi but I have heard a couple of people post to the contrary. One person actually stated that their vehicle Road better at 80 with load range e tires than it did at a lower pressure which I think was around 55.
All of my Excursions have been 36-40 foot stretch limos and weight just under 10k empty. For these, hou can't run the tires at 50psi if you are going to put people in them.
When I first got one of them I would let 62 psi alone but then started going to a min of 72.
Then when I started doing the math I like to stay closer to the max load psi of 80 printed on the tires.
This is one application where the is no big safety margin like a regular passenger car with even standard load tires. Most would be impossible to overload unless you filled them with bags of cement, blocks, or thick iron.
There is also a fairly major difference even in different sizes of load E tires.
I think one had 265 75 16 and another had 235 80 16.
One is about 3085 at 80 but only 2314 at 60 psi.
The 235/80 is about 3520 at 80psi.
That's 1500lbs more for tires that look smaller.
Amazingly tires will take a lot more than rated loads for a long time.
Over 20 years ago I saw standard P tires on many 10 and even 14 pass limos many that were already over 7500lbs empty. Then add 12-14 people and it is amazing the re weren't blow outs but they held up fine. Not a lot of miles on them with those loads but still they had to often be way over the max load.
I also saw 12-14 pass with factory Lincoln air spring susp still in rear that lasted for years until they started leaking but never blew out.
Standard industry practice became to replace with strong coil springs in rear and raise the rear up some too on anything bigger than 8-10 pass 120 inch but I saw several with bags and they lasted well.
Most 120s still had factory air bladder springs.
I had one pop on a run in 2003. Sounded like a shot gun at the right rear tire!
Had to put one person up front and readjust everyone with heaviest people in forward part or rear of limo and smallest people in the far rear and drive slowly low ridering in the rear to get them the last 1.5 mile or so to the corporate lunch place.
Dropped them and ran back to get a different limo.
I owned my Ex for 10 years, they weigh 8000 lbs with gas and a passenger and the diesels weigh more, plus most people use 285/75-16 tires but 265 is stock and 80 lbs will definitely make it ride rough no matter what. When those tires blow it is very violent. Mine blew a 6" hole right out the middle of the tread with steel belts hanging out plus it ruined my fender. You need to own one to know about them.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I owned my Ex for 10 years, they weigh 8000 lbs with gas and a passenger and the diesels weigh more, plus most people use 285/75-16 tires but 265 is stock and 80 lbs will definitely make it ride rough no matter what. When those tires blow it is very violent. Mine blew a 6" hole right out the middle of the tread with steel belts hanging out plus it ruined my fender. You need to own one to know about them.
Why are you quoting my above post about owning multiple excursions and then commenting like I don't know about them because I haven't owned one. I've owned far more excursions the most human beings. Unless they own a car lot and sell ford trucks.

They don't weigh a vehicle with a passenger or passengers or whatever stuff you may have stowed in the back. They weigh a vehicle empty without the driver and it's called curb weight. It is including some fuel and fluids in a normal operating condition but I cannot say it is with a full tank of gas. It probably is not. We would have to research that.
Now motorcycles come with two weights a dry weight in a wet weight because they're so concerned about being able to publish the lightest motorcycle wait for performance use. Autos don't do this. There is simply curb weight. Your post reads as if you had a 5.4 or a 6.8 because you said the Diesels way more. Even the Diesels don't weigh a thousand pounds and the V10 weigh less as I said. But for all intents and purposes and rounding around numbers, they are almost 8,000 lb vehicles but they're actually a lot closer to 7500.
Actual specs show 6650-7688 but more often you will see 7230 as the lowest published curb weight number which I believe is more correct. I don't think I've ever seen in Excursion only way 6650 unless you had removed a bunch of parts from it.
It seems the EPA use as curb weight with a full tank of gas what do they call nominal. But as I said not all published numbers include a full tank of fuel. Being 44 gallon tanks that's 350 lb.
I cannot confirm whether Ford publishes their curb weight numbers with a full tank of gas or not.
I would think at least a half tank if not the whole full tank would be included in the numbers but I have no way currently to confirm this.
Regardless, excursions max out just slightly above 7500 lbs and some are much closer to 7000 lb.
There is also the GVWR stamped on the sticker inside the door and Ford Excursion that's about 8,500 lb.
Sometimes people look at this and confuse it for curb weight. A lot of they E Series cutaway chassis buses are at 14,000 something for the total loaded weight but the vehicles themselves weigh about 6000 pounds.

Most if not all came from the factory with load range D Tires not E also.
All of our Excursions have been stretches so they have all been heavier than a non stretched one.
Many are very close to 10,000 pounds but none of them exceed 10,000 empty.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why are you quoting my above post about owning multiple excursions and then commenting like I don't know about them because I haven't owned one. I've owned far more excursions the most human beings. Unless they own a car lot and sell ford trucks.

They don't weigh a vehicle with a passenger or passengers or whatever stuff you may have stowed in the back. They weigh a vehicle empty without the driver and it's called curb weight. It is including some fuel and fluids in a normal operating condition but I cannot say it is with a full tank of gas. It probably is not. We would have to research that.
Now motorcycles come with two weights a dry weight in a wet weight because they're so concerned about being able to publish the lightest motorcycle wait for performance use. Autos don't do this. There is simply curb weight. Your post reads as if you had a 5.4 or a 6.8 because you said the Diesels way more. Even the Diesels don't weigh a thousand pounds and the V10 weigh less as I said. But for all intents and purposes and rounding around numbers, they are almost 8,000 lb vehicles but they're actually a lot closer to 7500.
Actual specs show 6650-7688 but more often you will see 7230 as the lowest published curb weight number which I believe is more correct. I don't think I've ever seen in Excursion only way 6650 unless you had removed a bunch of parts from it.
It seems the EPA use as curb weight with a full tank of gas what do they call nominal. But as I said not all published numbers include a full tank of fuel. Being 44 gallon tanks that's 350 lb.
I cannot confirm whether Ford publishes their curb weight numbers with a full tank of gas or not.
I would think at least a half tank if not the whole full tank would be included in the numbers but I have no way currently to confirm this.
Regardless, excursions max out just slightly above 7500 lbs and some are much closer to 7000 lb.
There is also the GVWR stamped on the sticker inside the door and Ford Excursion that's about 8,500 lb.
Sometimes people look at this and confuse it for curb weight. A lot of they E Series cutaway chassis buses are at 14,000 something for the total loaded weight but the vehicles themselves weigh about 6000 pounds.

Most if not all came from the factory with load range D Tires not E also.
All of our Excursions have been stretches so they have all been heavier than a non stretched one.
Many are very close to 10,000 pounds but none of them exceed 10,000 empty.
So you know about the addict transporters, thats good.