Question about Hitch Pin,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrazndead

Full Access Members
Reaction score

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends how heavy the trailer is I spose. If you are in a bind, the bolt will probably work fine, but for the 5 bucks or less that it will cost for you to get a pin from an auto parts store or any place that sells trailers, may as well be safe. If I were to use a bolt for my sled trailer, it would have to be Grade 8 strength and the exact diameter of the hitch pin hole so the hitch is not sliding in and out on braking and acceleration. I imagine that would break the bolt fairly quickly.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see that you were looking at a luggage rack. Then the bolt is most likely fine as long as it is similar in width to the hole, but since you say it will be used to carry suitcases, you might want to do the pin anyways. It would suck to lose a suitcase on the road...

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
A hitch pin is only a few bucks, so it's silly not to get one.
I would suggest spending a few dollars more and get a locking one. This will keep someone from walking off with your nice luggage rack.

OP
OP
M

mrazndead

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was doing some research on amazon and can't seem to locate a simple hitch pin, that will fit my hitch. 2 inches, and 1/2 inch hole. that's at least 5 inches.

the ones on amazon.com are 4.5inches and people are saying it doesn't fit on a 2" hitch because the length doesn't take into account the bend handle.....

Am3gross

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could go to a harbor freight or northern tool if they have them in your area and get exactly what you need...

OP
OP
M

mrazndead

Full Access Members
Reaction score
would it be okay to use a 5/8 pin on a hitch that has a 1/2 hole? any slack or wobble i'm guessing yes?

I want to use my amazon gift card, but it sounds like they're limited so I might have to go to a store and buy one as you guys recommended.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
would it be okay to use a 5/8 pin on a hitch that has a 1/2 hole? any slack or wobble i'm guessing yes?

I want to use my amazon gift card, but it sounds like they're limited so I might have to go to a store and buy one as you guys recommended.

Ummm, you mean a 1/2" pin in a 5/8" hole?

The other way around I don't think is going to work at all - the pin would be larger than the hole you want to fit it into.

As for the smaller pin in the bigger hole, I won't do it. Sure, it will work, but it will be weaker than the hitch is designed for and with long term use will wear out in bad places...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker