Question from a new owner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99BlueOval

Reaction score
Just bought new to me 99 5.4L 4x4. But I have a question. The gear indicator is 1 notch off to the right. It shows R when in park, and N when in reverse.. I was able to find that it is a $25-$50 fix but is ford the only place for the part? If so what is it's name or part number?

Thanx in advance,
MIKE

nstyle

Reaction score
I recently fixed my odometer on my 99Expy that was turning off and on all the time. While fixing it, you have to access the part of the steering column where the shift indicator is. You may find that it has just shifted or popped out of place. If I recall, there isn't much holding it in there.
I apologize for posting a competitor site here, but this post was very helpful for me and I wouldn't do you justice to paraphrase the instructions. This is definitely in the interest of Expedition owners.

http://www.fordtrucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196821&highlight=odometer+blackout+

Good Luck.

mshrout

Reaction score
Gear indicator

Im also new to this forum, I drive an 04 XLT 4 x 2 with tow package and air suspension.. My gear indicator was sticking as of late also.. haning up in R when in park and working ok after that.
took it in for rotate and balance of tires and seams to be working fine, I think the tire jockies in fords quick lane adjusted it but not sure how they got to it, unless they squirted some WD in the column, you might try that... otherwise, it looks like you have to take the dash apart to get to it.

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The gear indicator in my '04 XLT 4 x 2 has just started hanging up in R when moving the lever to Park.

Has anybody figured out what the problem is? I'm sure it's some type of alignment problem but how hard is it to fix. I'm planning on having the dealer fix it next time I take it in for something.

This type of thing shouldn't happen.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by danketchpel
The gear indicator in my '04 XLT 4 x 2 has just started hanging up in R when moving the lever to Park.

Has anybody figured out what the problem is? I'm sure it's some type of alignment problem but how hard is it to fix. I'm planning on having the dealer fix it next time I take it in for something.

This type of thing shouldn't happen.

Yeah, especially not on an 04:nono: You should definitely have them repair that under warranty.

phateddie

Reaction score
I had a 97 f-150 and when i put a body lift on it, it threw the gear indicator out of wack. They are adjustable. First you have to remove the trim piece that is under the steering wheel and stand on your head and look up. There is a cable that runs from the shifter to the dash where the gear indicator is. Where it "plugs in" you can unscrew or screw the end piece and it will adjust the alignment of the line with the letter. Did that make any sense to you???