Modified Vehicle? Insurance Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I added my new to me 3rd generation Expedition to my insurance policy the question was raised if this was a "modified vehicle". It is not as it is a stock XLT.

This does raise the question for me and perhaps many, what the threshold is for a vehicle being considered "modified" and what the consequences are.

In my case I intend to delete the manual third row seats as they are never going to be used. The deletion is simply removal of some bolts. No wiring is involved, no airbag or sensors either from what I can tell so far. The third row delete is actually a factory option. The parts will go into a crate for some future owner if any. Installation same as removal.

In place of the third row I am installing a shelf for "ham" radio "drawer units" and a shelf above for extension of the cargo floor and its functionality. To the casual observer, it will appear that the third row seats are folded down. This addition will not require drilling the vehicle in any way as the seat bolts will provide adequate anchoring. There is a commercially made shelf like this for later model years sold for police utility vehicles.

There will be some antennas on the roof and they will be the sole place where drilling holes will be involved.

The installation, while "permanent" in the sense that equipment will be securely bolted and safely installed will be entirely removable, the only trace are rubber plugs that are designed to fill the antenna holes. I am really not concerned about resale.

Any thoughts as to insurance implications?

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I doubt seriously removing the 3rd row seats, and replacing them with a shelf will be of any concern to an insurance company. Unless somehow it lead to an injury in the event of an accident.

At 20 years old I called around for insurance quotes on my brand new(8 days old) special ordered '94 Ranger that had extensive mods. Geico said nope we don't insure modified vehicles, AllState said sure open your wallet, USAA said no problem but come back in a couple years if you learn to calm down. It had a body lift, suspension lift, 35" tires, off-road lights front and rear and underside, Centerforce clutch, new brake lines, cb radio, pa speaker, full stereo system, wheel to wheel nerf bars, diamond plate bed rails and tailgate cap and the list goes on. Clearly modified.

I've had USAA now for almost 30yrs, they said if I disable the SRS air bags that would be modified and they wouldn't cover injuries in the vehicle, they didn't care in the least that I swapped out the air suspension for traditional springs/struts.

USAA nor AllState covered the cost to replace aftermarket parts, course the factory parts are often more costly anyway.

I have no experience with any others. I talked to other insurance companies years ago, but I don't recall their response to my quote request for the Ranger.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think they mean suspension parts or anything to safety items. Like the previous post stated

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I added my new to me 3rd generation Expedition to my insurance policy the question was raised if this was a "modified vehicle". It is not as it is a stock XLT.

This does raise the question for me and perhaps many, what the threshold is for a vehicle being considered "modified" and what the consequences are.

In my case I intend to delete the manual third row seats as they are never going to be used. The deletion is simply removal of some bolts. No wiring is involved, no airbag or sensors either from what I can tell so far. The third row delete is actually a factory option. The parts will go into a crate for some future owner if any. Installation same as removal.

In place of the third row I am installing a shelf for "ham" radio "drawer units" and a shelf above for extension of the cargo floor and its functionality. To the casual observer, it will appear that the third row seats are folded down. This addition will not require drilling the vehicle in any way as the seat bolts will provide adequate anchoring. There is a commercially made shelf like this for later model years sold for police utility vehicles.

There will be some antennas on the roof and they will be the sole place where drilling holes will be involved.

The installation, while "permanent" in the sense that equipment will be securely bolted and safely installed will be entirely removable, the only trace are rubber plugs that are designed to fill the antenna holes. I am really not concerned about resale.

Any thoughts as to insurance implications?

Why not ask your insurance agent? They would be in the best position to provide an explanation of what a vehicle modification is considered and what the insurance implication is.

My wife is a state-licensed personal lines insurance agent (home and auto).

OP
OP
JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not ask your insurance agent? They would be in the best position to provide an explanation of what a vehicle modification is considered and what the insurance implication is.

My wife is a state-licensed personal lines insurance agent (home and auto).
I want to avoid having the discussion only to be sold a special rider for a vehicle that should be covered.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to avoid having the discussion only to be sold a special rider for a vehicle that should be covered.

Another option would be to read your auto insurance policy, and take note of any exclusions and definition (such as modifications).

OP
OP
JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another option would be to read your auto insurance policy, and take note of any exclusions and definition (such as modifications).
A good idea. My Homeowners policy reads very cryptically, for example I am pretty sure I am covered for sinkholes, but the boiler plate says otherwise.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah good call. I did just that like 10 years ago, maybe a few more and cancelled everything except liability as a result. All 4 of our vehicles are valued at less than $9k combined by our county so why bother paying the insurance company hundreds a month.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A few years ago I had auto insurance through the AAA Auto Club. They had a rider for modifications. You just told them the dollar amount and they added it to the policy.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only problem I can see is in the event of a accident that cause the mounted items to become dislodged and turn into missiles that cause secondary injuries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett