2017 expedition roaring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2017kyexpedition

Reaction score
I have a 2017 expedition xlt 4wd 3.5tt. I got it and had it for a couple months before this started happening.

Im getting this roaring noise from the front when i go above 20ish mph and gets louder the faster you go. Sounds just like a bad front driver wheel bearing. It stops when going around a turn to the right. It did this before and after new tires and both front wheel bearings being replaced and new brake pads and front left caliper. It also does this after having removed the front drive shaft or if it's in four-wheel drive.

When I start the vehicle I can jack it up and watch that the front wheels free spin without the axles turning. So it appears as though the IWE system is functioning correctly.
The front diff, axles, and transfer case shouldnt be turning. No change in noise when applying brakes.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan L

Reaction score
Sounds like the front suspension has an issue. From the parts list you’ve mentioned, I would try a different mechanic for a diagnosis. Some mechanics will use a very persuasive looking pry bar to make the suspension give up its secrets. Could be a worn ball joint, loose strut, tie rod, bent control arm, failed motor mount, stuck caliper pins, etc. Could also be the new bearing was bad. New parts only mean they’re new, not necessarily good!

Johnathan M

Reaction score
Sounds like the front suspension has an issue. From the parts list you’ve mentioned, I would try a different mechanic for a diagnosis. Some mechanics will use a very persuasive looking pry bar to make the suspension give up its secrets. Could be a worn ball joint, loose strut, tie rod, bent control arm, failed motor mount, stuck caliper pins, etc. Could also be the new bearing was bad. New parts only mean they’re new, not necessarily good!
Most of the items you mentioned wouldn't cause a roar would they? The OP said he has a roar, not a clunk or rattle, like he would get with most of the suspension parts you mentioned. I do agree that a new part can be bad, and a wheel bearing would fit the description of the problem. It definitely seems to be something that turns or rotates due to it increasing with speed.

To the OP, have you checked if your radiator fan is running constantly? Maybe it's rubbing on something and when you go around a turn, the item it rubs against moves away from the fan and therefore the noise stops? Just trying to brainstorm as to a possibility.

Ryan L

Reaction score
Most of the items you mentioned wouldn't cause a roar would they? The OP said he has a roar, not a clunk or rattle, like he would get with most of the suspension parts you mentioned. I do agree that a new part can be bad, and a wheel bearing would fit the description of the problem. It definitely seems to be something that turns or rotates due to it increasing with speed.

To the OP, have you checked if your radiator fan is running constantly? Maybe it's rubbing on something and when you go around a turn, the item it rubs against moves away from the fan and therefore the noise stops? Just trying to brainstorm as to a possibility.
I hear what you’re saying. My thought process is that worn suspension components can cause create issues downstream. I experienced a roaring rear bearing on a newish sedan that had wide low profile tires. Digging deeper found the inner rim of the wheel was bent, so that got fixed at the same time as the bearing. It rode smooth, so I had no clue about the wheel. Expys are built different than sedans, but the principle still applies.

Another idea might be an internally compromised tire. Swapping the fronts to the rear could reveal that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire