Front shaft turning in 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Packer99

Reaction score
I replaced the IWE, wheel bearing, and vacuum solenoid but the drivers side shaft still turns in 2wd. 20 lbs of vacuum at the IWE. Will a bad cv shaft cause grinding at the wheel? 2008 4wd expedition.

terr5178

Reaction score
Did you change the vacuum solenoid at the radiator shield. That turns on/off the iwc.. sound like you issue or a bad check valve.

eddytheexpy

Reaction score
This thread is a little old for what is likely a quick repair but doesn't have an update on the fix so I'll throw my two cents in.

You try ruling out the vacuum hose? my IWE worked fine when I put the pump directly on the ports and the check valve was good too but it would try to engage intermittently at highway speed especially when it was sucking wind going up hill. turned out the hose had a leak. I bought a new vacuum hose and never heard it again. I did wind up replacing the IWEs since they were getting the crap beat out of them but the CV axle looked fine so it seems the IWE is the sacrificial part in that exchange of gear bashing.