Question on plugs/cop costs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7FordExpedition

Reaction score
I have be having some problems with the car cutting out under load. After some good advice and observations from this site ... I be believing that it is a problem with either plugs or cop. Since I cannot confirm with certainty this has ever been done before I got it (I am 2nd owner) ... I am going to take the car over to a local Ford dealer in Southern Pines to get the work done. I have had some experience with this dealer, not exactly really good experience but ... there really isn't anyone else close to us.

I wish I could do it myself but it is just not a good thing ... me, my hands and wrists and wrenches. Such is life when you get old and stove up! Besides, I have never replaced the plugs on a 5.4 and I understand it can be trying.

They tell me that for plugs and cop R&R it will run a bit below $700 otd. Using motorcraft plugs and cops.

Question: Does that seem reasonable to all you guys out there?

DesertFordRat

Reaction score
The motorcraft plugs are like 9 bucks a piece or so. The coils are pricey depending on where you get them. Orielly wanted to charge me something like 80 a piece but I found them on Wal-Mart's site for like 45 so they price matched. So based on those crazy prices it sounds about right I suppose. They may be factoring that if a plug breaks inside they will have to remove those. Make sure that price includes that possibility. I'm assuming you have an 07 which I believe has that problem (if they are original plugs).

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A set of 8 DG-511 COPs are $232.72 at Amazon right now. If you have a Discover card, they're doing 5% cashback at Amazon also. Pair that with 8 plugs and you're looking at about $300 in parts. That means your paying about $400 for labor just to change some plugs. That's 4 hours labor where I live and probably more hours at NC labor rates. Breakage aside, this is a 2-hour job tops. Do you have an independent shop that can do this for you rather than the stealership? Even better if you have one that lets you bring your own parts.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds about right for dealership prices. I agree with the suggestion to go to a local shop if possible instead, to save a few bucks.

OP
OP
7FordExpedition

7FordExpedition

Reaction score
I called Crossroads Ford in Southern Pines to make an appointment to get it done, they can't do it until Sept 14th. Cost for motorcraft parts and labor (plugs/cops) will be $603 out the door ... UNLESS ... GET THIS ... UNLESS ... they break a plug off, then they will charge me an extra half hour labor for each plug they break off to get it out.

They tell me the plugs/cops calls for 4 hours labor. Then if they break any/all off it could mean as much as an extra 4 hours labor.

Ford designed and manufactured the engine, they make the plugs, they train and certify the mechanics in how to do this ... and if they break it ... I pay extra for it.

I just think it is odd.

Well, see how it goes on the 14th.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I called Crossroads Ford in Southern Pines to make an appointment to get it done, they can't do it until Sept 14th. Cost for motorcraft parts and labor (plugs/cops) will be $603 out the door ... UNLESS ... GET THIS ... UNLESS ... they break a plug off, then they will charge me an extra half hour labor for each plug they break off to get it out.

They tell me the plugs/cops calls for 4 hours labor. Then if they break any/all off it could mean as much as an extra 4 hours labor.

Ford designed and manufactured the engine, they make the plugs, they train and certify the mechanics in how to do this ... and if they break it ... I pay extra for it.

I just think it is odd.

Well, see how it goes on the 14th.

Ironic, eh? :/

I can't believe they're going to bill you for 4 hours. I did mine in under 2 hours and my automotive skill level is about a 1 out of 10.

DesertFordRat

Reaction score
Yea that's quite a lot of labor time. A few lap dances should be included. I did mine in about 3 hours and I really took my time with lots of breaks for beer. Id shop that price around a bit if possible.

Edit:

I should also say I tested all my COPs in that time too.

Last edited:

DesertFordRat

Reaction score
I read your other thread about it cutting out under load. You stated the people who sold you the vehicle told you the previous owner did the plugs at 90k. Can you ask that dealer for the service records? You may want to consider only buying the cops or a tester and do some troubleshooting. Unless you are comfortable dropping 600 bucks on this problem. I bought a tester for like 6 bucks. Then tested each coil for good spark. Id hate for you to waste good cash on this man.

alter1

Reaction score
I read your other thread about it cutting out under load. You stated the people who sold you the vehicle told you the previous owner did the plugs at 90k. Can you ask that dealer for the service records? You may want to consider only buying the cops or a tester and do some troubleshooting. Unless you are comfortable dropping 600 bucks on this problem. I bought a tester for like 6 bucks. Then tested each coil for good spark. Id hate for you to waste good cash on this man.

What kind of tester did you use? Where did you get it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zanwahwarden