Question regarding my stablilizer bar.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Just had my brakes pads replaced(yesterday) anyhow...my mechanic observed my stabilizer bar(?) was not attached. There aren't any legs(bars) attaching it to the lower control arms. My mechanic(not Ford[long story]) seems to think it should be attached. I've only had the vehichle for 7mos. I'm concerned because it has a really nice tow hitch on it with the trailer brake and everything. If you could give me any advice I'd appreciate it greatly.

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the stabilizer bar is also refered to as the "sway bar" and the "anti-roll bar." It SHOULD be attached...if it's not attached how is it providing "stabilization." It should be attached with rubber bushings (inside a metal fitting and over the bar itself) and bolts on the ends...close to the tie rod ends.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lvbnamom,

cnuttgirt is correct, they are the anit-sway bars, and they are known to break quite often on the Exby's. Quite a lot of folks have put aftermarket anit-sway bars on theat are stronger (less sway) and break less.

I take it that you do not want to use Ford dealerships (just as I don't probably). Have your mechanic order new "links" for the anti-sway bars and reattach them. There are several types out there, but consider the replacements that use "polyurethane" bushings instread of natural rubber bushings for a better ride. NOte that these are very common replacements, and you can get them at any auto parts store.

Joval

Reaction score
I had the same problem (clicking noise) and I realized I had lost one of the end bolt of my anti-sway bar.

I used an alternative one so DOES ANYONE KNOWS WHERE I CAN FIND ON THE INTERNET THE AUTO PARTS RELATED TO THE RUBBER BUSHINGS AS WELL AS THE END BOLTS

GRACIAS

JOVAL

EXPY 98' EB 4X4

Strayjj

Reaction score
I had the same thing on my Expy, I figured that the Sways were missing the link. You can get it at Autozone or Advance Auto and it isn't expensive at all and super easy to re-install.

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford will charge you about $23 per side for the three parts needed. Just replaced one of mine.