Questions about Compatibility of putting a 2003 engine into a 1998

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mama bear

Reaction score
I had to replace the engine in my 1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition 4 x 4 5.4L. I bought a used low mileage seemingly very well maintained 2003 5.4L engine because I was told it would be compatible with my 1998. I was told by the seller it came out of a 1998 but clearly it didn’t. What modifications can I make to make it compatible with my 1998? Which parts need to be replaced to ensure compatibility?

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have never done this swap, but it seems possible. Check your transmission. If the engine is out, I would take advantage of the disassembly and rebuilt it an possibly the trans. If you had a lot of miles on your trans, you can rebuild it yourself for under $1000 and that includes a new torque converter. The hardest part rebuilding the transmission is getting it out. With the engine gone, it is pretty simple. There are a lot of good videos on the trans rebuild online that will walk you through it.

OP
OP
M

Mama bear

Reaction score
Thank you for the advise. The transmission is in great condition. When it started having engine trouble I took it to a shop and had everything bumper to bumper, top to bottom checked out. Everything else is great I just have to get this 2003 engine modified and get it installed to get my Expedition back on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It should be fine, the 5.4L changed a little internally, but it was probably mated to the 4R70W tranny in a truck. So, it probably doesn't know the difference. PCM should work. Some had anti-knock sensors mounted in the valley other didn't. You should be able to tell right off if they both have them or not. The other thing that changed which may affect the swap is the flywheel bolt pattern. Make sure the fly wheel bolts to the torque converter before you wrestle it in place.

OP
OP
M

Mama bear

Reaction score
Thank you! I appreciate the information. I am just worried the engine won’t be compatible and I spent all that money for nothing and still won’t have a working vehicle. I am borrowing a 1998 Pontiac Firebird while my Expedition is out of commission but I can’t fit 4 kids & 2 adults in the Firebird. So I really appreciate all the help and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had an 05 expedition. 3 valve motor was a constant pain in the a$$. Cam phaser issues were constant. I finally disconnected the left bank sensor, ran it for two years that way with the check engine light on. I gave up the horsepower just so I didn’t have to listen to bb’s rattling in a can at loW RPM’s. I’d rather have to believe coil the occasional spark plug than deal with the 2nd gen 5.4 again. Anyway, that was my experience for what it’s worth.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1997 to 2004 5.4 were the same engine. It's a direct swap, no changes.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2003 and up are different engines from the 97 to 02

NO THEY ARENT!

The 97 to 2004 are the same engine. In 2005 they went to the 3 valve 5.4 Triton. From 1997 to 2004 it was the same 2 valve engine. I know for a fact of this, is my 2003 has an engine from a 98 too.

Same Trans too.