Questions about the 3rd generation's dash tray

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, my SSV has this pretty neat "dash tray" where you can put your wallet, change, etc. It's pretty handy, but other Fords of that era have them too and they come with rubber inserts that go over the hard plastic tray, to keep stuff from sliding around. As an example, a 2013 Explorer we have at work also has a similar type of tray on the dash, with a removable rubberized insert in it.

Question 1: Is this a recent addition to the Expedition? A buddy of mine has a 2004 SSV and his doesn't have this tray at all, so I figure it must be a gen 3 thing.

Question 2:
Do rubber inserts exist for this tray and if so, where can you get them? The tray certainly looks like it's made to accommodate something sitting on top of it, if you look at the rectangular depression on the dash around it.

Dash-Radio.jpg

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I mounted my flux capacitor and as you guessed, it slid around. I mounted a piece of velcro to the base of the cutout and now it moves no more......or is that the radar detector?

Anyway, no inserts that I found, or I wouldn't have glued the velcro in.

jeff

I like that console dash....smooooth

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I do recall that when the Suburbans (if I remember right) were first offered with the dash tray, they didn't have the sloping rear edge. This allowed a person to insert their head into the tray and get stuck, via hooking their nose. There was a recall that put a sloped overlay in the tray. Beware!

OP
OP
762mm

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do recall that when the Suburbans (if I remember right) were first offered with the dash tray, they didn't have the sloping rear edge. This allowed a person to insert their head into the tray and get stuck, via hooking their nose. There was a recall that put a sloped overlay in the tray. Beware!

This sounds insane. Anyone who gets stuck like that shouldn't be let anywhere near a motor vehicle... lol!

Leave it to GM to recall something this stupid, but leave killer ignitions in their products (the Chevy Cobalt fiasco).

Anchorclanker

Reaction score
You can find little rubber non slip pads at almost any auto parts store. I've used them in older trucks and they work well. Some of that rubber shelf liner would do the trick also.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The whole premise of something that appears to be a shelf on a vehicle that no one I know can drive with spilling contents of said shelf.....just doesn't make sense just to add some detail in to breakup the 5 acres of plastic.....

jeff

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can find little rubber non slip pads at almost any auto parts store. I've used them in older trucks and they work well. Some of that rubber shelf liner would do the trick also.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The rubber shelf liner stuff works well and is cheap at Walmart, etc. I cut several pieces to fit in the tray that goes in my center console to keep stuff from sliding around, and it seems to do the trick.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The middle is good for napkins. For the 2 side ones, I designed and 3d printed his and her, cell phone holders (with built-in Qi chargers) mounted with velcro there, that come over and have a bracket that also is velcro'd just above the vent. I could never find a commercial one that didn't block the radio display or vent in anyway.

Plati

Reaction score
The middle is good for napkins. For the 2 side ones, I designed and 3d printed his and her, cell phone holders (with built-in Qi chargers) mounted with velcro there, that come over and have a bracket that also is velcro'd just above the vent. I could never find a commercial one that didn't block the radio display or vent in anyway.
Pictures?

Plati

Reaction score
The whole premise of something that appears to be a shelf on a vehicle that no one I know can drive with spilling contents of said shelf.....just doesn't make sense just to add some detail in to breakup the 5 acres of plastic.....

jeff
That's because you have no imagination and suffer from a closed mind, living in your tiny little world