Radiator Fluid Smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi All,

Only been a member for a few weeks, did the intro with a picture of my 2010 Expy. Been mostly lurking, reading about the paint issue(which I had on the hatch and paid for out of pocket because dealing with Ford became too much off a headache, maybe I'll get into that on the paint thread)

Anyway while lurking I have not come across what I listed in the title, regardless of length of drive, when I get out of the truck I always smell Radiator fluid. Been doing it since new and have not lost any fluid or found any leaks to justify the smell(had the same issue with a 2000 Explorer) and even my father in law a retired Ford trained and certified mechanic of 45 years(Retired in '05) could never find it on the Explorer(States now even retired he has the same issue with his 2012 Fusion) and my current Ford mechanic who owns a 2010 EL has the same problem and can't find it on his either.

I have an 2003 Marauder and never had that issue along with several Rangers before the Expy was purchased.

So did I miss a thread or does some out there have an answer but not yet posted it.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a slight smell with my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new and never damaged or wrecked.

A Ford dealer mechanic could not find the problem - I persisted and said it had a leak and they should find it. Still covered under warranty.

Eventually, the mechanic determined that the coolant reservoir bottle (unusual name used by Ford that I can’t recall) was leaking SLIGHTLY at the nipple underneath it - which had a metal reinforcement metal tube in it, and a small diameter hose connected to it.

Apparently when the bottle or connecting hose flexed, or it expanded with heating, it would permit the smell out and a SLIGHT amount of fluid - which never dripped lower.

Replacement of the bottle and hose ended the smell.

tobinjtaylor

Reaction score
Check the radiator hose and the T connector. Notorious for failing. Dribbles fluid into the engine block and burns off until it fails enough to cause bigger leaks. You can find YouTube videos for cheap and quick repair instead of replacing entire hose assembly. Here’s how mine looks now. 20FC2200-F812-466A-9FFB-1846305816C1.jpeg 20A993DA-66C8-4AEB-ABD3-BB0DDCE902AA.jpeg

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the radiator hose and the T connector. Notorious for failing. Dribbles fluid into the engine block and burns off until it fails enough to cause bigger leaks. You can find YouTube videos for cheap and quick repair instead of replacing entire hose assembly. Here’s how mine looks now. View attachment 37975 View attachment 37976

Nice fix and photos, tobinjtaylor :waytogo:

The OP states that he is not losing fluid, so he must not have the same, or similar problem. :whymewhyme:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
That tee can drip on the exhaust manifold making the smell. It doesn't have to be much and you won't notice the loss. You can also pressurize the system and check for leaks or analyze the oil to see if you have a head gasket issue.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My smell was 100% caused by a leaking coolant line at the turbo. Jiffy tite connectors are plastic and leak eventually. Check that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Lowmilexpedition
Reaction score
99 and Tobin, I will definitely check out those locations ASAP. Thanks for the info and I hope it is one of those 2 issues(who knows maybe it is a little bit of both.)

Muddy I have the 3V 5.4 so no turbos for me, but thanks for the input.

tobinjtaylor

Reaction score
If it’s leaking at the T connector, here is the video I found helpful.
good luck in any event - hope you get it figured out!

Jon1985

Reaction score
That happen to my 2010 expedition the t blew when I was trying to pass someone made a huge mess all over my engine bay and windshield did the same fix in the video . I’m concerned about the Y next to it waiting for that one too go also other then that the intake manifold gasket was leaking on the back of my engine had Ford fix that other then that it has the original radiator it’s seeping a little bit but it stopped for over a year now thinking about replacing with all aluminum radiator no more plastic crap .

OP
OP
Lowmilexpedition
Reaction score
Okay Tobin and Jon, I checked, not Tee leaking, however 99's maybe the winner. Due weather and my garage full of shed stuff(Due to be built at the end of this month) I haven't been able to correct the problem. Looks like the rain has finally subsided so this week I may get it done.

Thanks for the assist everyone!