Rain sensing wipers too sensitive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robertcope

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Expedition. It has the rain sensing wipers. Generally, I think they're pretty cool, but they are way, way too sensitive. I never take it off the lowest level and it seems like it basically goes nuts even in the slightest rain.

Is this something that can be adjusted by the dealer or some other tuning tool?

robert

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See if there is an optical sensor on the rearview mirror facing the windshield. If there is, clean it and spray the windshield with water.

rexster314

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got a '12 King Ranch, the rainsensing wipers are the best thing since sliced bread. They works perfectly. Maybe the sensor is fritzing out

OP
OP
R

robertcope

Reaction score
See if there is an optical sensor on the rearview mirror facing the windshield. If there is, clean it and spray the windshield with water.

There is. I'll give this another shot, I guess.

Got a '12 King Ranch, the rainsensing wipers are the best thing since sliced bread. They works perfectly. Maybe the sensor is fritzing out

Nice, mine is a King Ranch, also. I agree, in theory, I like the rain sensing wipers. It's pretty neat, I leave them on sometimes for weeks without and rain and then magically they turn on when it gets wet. Love it. Just wish they were not so aggressive.

robert

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rain sensing wipers cannot be dealer adjusted. The fix for all issues is to change out the sensor, the stalk, BCM, software, or combination of all.

There is a sensor on the rear of the rear view mirror, and for that matter there is another on the front side. These are for the self-dimming electrochromic feature. It uses forward and rearward light levels to dim (or not dim) the mirror. In other words, remove the mirror and your rain-sensing wipers will still work.

The rain sensor is a small black reclangular box attached to the windshield itself. Its more visible from the passenger side. From outside of the car, you will see a circle with the sensor below, inside the glass.

With:
2013-Ford-Expedition-dash-1024x640.jpg

2010FRD006a_640_12.png

Without:
Ford-Expedition-2011-Interior-View-670x427.jpg

With that, there are 3-4 different windshields for the 07+ Expedition. Some sources suggest the 2007 model year can use the 2008+ glass where others suggest otherwise. The biggest driver is YES/NO to rain sensing and if its before 2015 or not:

Windshield 2007 7L1Z 7803100 A
Windshield 2008 & up AL1Z 7803100 A
Windshield w/rain sensor 2009-2014 AL1Z 7803100 B
Windshield w/rain sensor 2015 & up FL1Z 7803100 A

Not sure what issues could arise from the wrong windshield being installed. Places like Safelite **usually** only carry the most common, so if your glass is a replacement - did you get the right one?

Sorry to be so nerdy on the subject.

On a side note, I recall a discussion on an Infiniti or BMW forum I frequent. Had to due to repellents such as Rain-X, Aquapel, and others. Supposedly and allegedly these products increase the frequency of the wipers action as they somehow turn one normal-sized rain drop into a dozen smaller ones. As the dozen smaller ones pass by the raindrop sensor, the system thinks there is more rain than their actually is. Or something along those lines, its been a while since I followed the topic. It seems like auto detailers also sometimes use paint sealers on glass, and this results in the same. And I also learned even if you don't apply these products yourself, many carwashes use them in the automatics and I guess there even wiper blades & washer fluids now that apply the product.

OP
OP
R

robertcope

Reaction score
Meant to get back sooner, but one thing I noticed recently was that the glass had dots covering the rain sensor. I suspect that is not correct, that it should have a cutout (so to speak) where the sensor is located. I tried looking through the Ford parts catalog, and as pointed out above, there are several windshields, but it is hard to tell what the difference is.

Could anyone with rain sensing wipers take a picture of their windshield for me? I guess I could cruise around parking lots and find Expeditions to look at, too.

Thank you all for your responses,

robert

mks8882

Reaction score
Mine doesn't appear to have any dots over the sensor area. I've attached a picture. The window was dirty so the smear you see is where I wiped it off with my hand.

Attachments

• wipers.jpg
    wipers.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 53

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got the rain sensing wipers on my '12. I find they are over sensitive; they start before there's enough moisture to justify wiping and they accelerate too much when it really starts raining. But that said, it doesn't bother me as I find regular use of Rainex gives me far better vision than the wipers ever do. The biggest problem with the wipers - even new Bosch and Rainex blades - is they smear rather than squeegee. Seems like there's an opportunity for someone to come out with a better mouse trap.

OP
OP
R

robertcope

Reaction score
Mine doesn't appear to have any dots over the sensor area. I've attached a picture. The window was dirty so the smear you see is where I wiped it off with my hand.

Thanks. That's what mine looks like, too. I guess they're working as designed. I rarely have to take them off the first click and even that is too sensitive. I suppose if that's the biggest complaint I have about the truck, it's pretty good!

robert

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turro15