Rain sensing wipers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasbred

Reaction score
Is there anyway to turn off the rain sensing wipers on a 2012 XLT? If I remember right I could turn them off on my 2011 F150. This is on a fully loaded XLT with Sync1 nav. I have a chip right in front of the sensor but it was repaired, my wife was saying they didn't act right before the chip.

The wipers don't work consistently on any intermittent settings, only constant and max. You can turn them up 1 speed and get them to wipe once and then you have to repeat that process. From what I can gather, something with the sensor isn't functioning properly. I would rather just operate them in normal, old school manual mode.

OP
OP
T

texasbred

Reaction score
Well I searched the forum again and found a thread this time. Maybe I typed it in weird the first time. Apparently I can just unplug it, will give it a try this afternoon.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I searched the forum again and found a thread this time. Maybe I typed it in weird the first time. Apparently I can just unplug it, will give it a try this afternoon.

My 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 has this feature and I turned it off in one of the menus for the vehicle settings.

Did you read your vehicle owner’s manual regarding the feature?

OP
OP
T

texasbred

Reaction score
My 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 has this feature and I turned it off in one of the menus for the vehicle settings.

Did you read your vehicle owner’s manual regarding the feature?
I looked several times, then was researching it online. From my understanding the older models don't have the menu option to turn them off. My last 2 F150's and my F250 all did. Typically the vehicle only goes 4-5 miles to my wife's work but its my daily now and I don't want to be turning the switch constantly in a Houston thunderstorm during rush hour lol.

Unplugging it worked btw. Now I just have to find all the other info I'm looking for on this Expedition. lol

I've never daily driven this vehicle until recently, I really enjoy it vs my previous trucks.

GAmundsen

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue on my 2012 El King Ranch. I tried unplugging it, intermittent still not working. Owners manual says very little. I have read that the gummy silicone pad my be compromised, so I’ve ordered one of those. I’d be happy with just an old school intermittent wiper that works, very frustrating

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a broken passenger wiper for a about a month. Since it's the wiper that clears the area in front of the rain detector I had to switch off rain sensing. Luckily I have a newer 3rd gen and was able to do it through one of the menus.

Wiper is fixed now but to be frank, I never found any rain sensing systems to be all that great. I would have left it off if it weren't for my wife.