Ran 93 octane, turbos whistle really loud, and got 12.5 mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iamsam1117

Reaction score
How many miles on the truck??

I'd highly recommend cleaning your sensors and resetting the ecm at the same time. Just unplug the battery hit the high beams a few times and while it's out grab a can of contact cleaners from the local electronic store and clean the 3 primary sensors... Mine were super oiled up and dirty. I did this when I had a similar mileage drop putting in 91 octane... Running 22-23 mpg in the freeway with 91 on my current setup now

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
62k. I actually cleaned all the sensors and my throttle body about 5k ago.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Things" don't change because nothing changed. If you are convinced that it is the fuel alone, then use it up, go back to your old fuel and you should be right as rain.............if not, something changed, whether it happened when you cleaned stuff or "just because" but you can take it to the bank that something is different.

I am curious though, for someone that only cruises in a pretty highly modified truck, why the 93 in the first place?

jeff

TuxedoBlack

Reaction score
With all the talk about low mileage issues, I started to get concerned about my mileage. I have a 15 Plat 4x4 with 3.73 LSDs and usually am reading 13.7 or so city driving. Also noted about 17 on the little highway driving I had done. Normally I use my heavy foot for throttle control. Yesterday I set the cruise at 62 and was getting 24 heading to 25mpg as the motor warmed up. I had to speed up as my wife asking me wtf i was doing driving 30mph slower than normal!

This was all on ethanoled 87.

15 Platinum Tuxedo Black

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Things" don't change because nothing changed. If you are convinced that it is the fuel alone, then use it up, go back to your old fuel and you should be right as rain.............if not, something changed, whether it happened when you cleaned stuff or "just because" but you can take it to the bank that something is different.

I am curious though, for someone that only cruises in a pretty highly modified truck, why the 93 in the first place?

jeff

Seeing if I was able to notice a power gain mainly.
In some of the tuning threads people mentioned better mileage on 93 vs 87 even without a tune.
Figured I would give it a go.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I run 92 in both my F150 and Expedition. Been doing so since new. I average 22-23 on my F150 but it's all highway. I only have 3500 miles on it though, expect it to improve a bit more based on my experience with the expedition when first got it. The Expedition typically driven by the Mrs. is all around town. 15-16 is typically what she realizes hauling the kids around and such. When we go on the highway with the Expedition, I see 23-24 as long as I don't drive over 75. Cruise control does wonders with these motors on the highway.

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're hearing the turbo whistle under normal driving you may have an intake duct air leak somewhere.

My 17 is consistently 20+ normal for me driving, 19+ interstate 65-75 mph.

You might check for dragging brake or something else mechanical making the engine work more.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're hearing the turbo whistle under normal driving you may have an intake duct air leak somewhere.

My 17 is consistently 20+ normal for me driving, 19+ interstate 65-75 mph.

You might check for dragging brake or something else mechanical making the engine work more.
He probably meant when he steps on it it’s louder. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Mine are super loud with my tune I’ve got on top of removing those “air vortex silencers” and and aftermarket CAI.