Ran 93 octane, turbos whistle really loud, and got 12.5 mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure what is going on. I do pretty much zero highway driving and a fair amount of sitting waiting for kiddos at school so I get a pretty consistent 15 mpg when I do highway I get about 20mpg.
Folks have claimed better mpg with 93 so figured I’d give it a go. Ran the 87 tank about as empty as possible and filled up with 93.
The turbo whistle is really pronounced and I got a whopping 12.5 mpg for the tank. No change in driving habits, no check engine light, no codes. Engine ran really well.
What gives?

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure what is going on. I do pretty much zero highway driving and a fair amount of sitting waiting for kiddos at school so I get a pretty consistent 15 mpg when I do highway I get about 20mpg.
Folks have claimed better mpg with 93 so figured I’d give it a go. Ran the 87 tank about as empty as possible and filled up with 93.
The turbo whistle is really pronounced and I got a whopping 12.5 mpg for the tank. No change in driving habits, no check engine light, no codes. Engine ran really well.
What gives?
What gives? “Turbo whistle is really pronounced” would be your lead foot. And if you never reset your KAM you’re truck is probably trying to figure out what to do with better fuel

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My foot is no different than any other tank of gas so not sure why it is much louder.
As for changing to 93 the computer should adjust itself no need for a reset simply for using a different octane level.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My foot is no different than any other tank of gas so not sure why it is much louder.
As for changing to 93 the computer should adjust itself no need for a reset simply for using a different octane level.
Ok well if you e been running 87 forever and just toss 93 in there it’s gonna take several hundred miles for it to adapt or you can just do a KAM reset like I said and have it work instantly. But what do I know, it’s not like I’ve ever done it or had same issue before...

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So basically you're revving around smalltown Kentucky on a lift and upsized LT tires when you aren't idling for A/C and radio?

12.5mpg sounds pretty impressive lol

PS also maybe no one ever buys 93 at that station, and it's rust muck and donkey piss in that tank

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So basically you're revving around smalltown Kentucky on a lift and upsized LT tires when you aren't idling for A/C and radio?

12.5mpg sounds pretty impressive lol

PS also maybe no one ever buys 93 at that station, and it's rust muck and donkey piss in that tank

Been getting 15 with 87 on the lift and tires and same driving habits as before.
I’ll try a reset and another tank.
Got a highway trip Thursday so we’ll see.

Never done 93 in this rig but other vehicles have and not seen a drop like this.
Maybe she’s just sensitive.

I have not been running my ODBLink recently. Wonder if the computer is allowing for more boost on the 93 and that is why I am hearing the turbos much more.

@16plati is a KAM reset the same as a PCM reset

Last edited:

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I moved to 93 and noticed the increased turbo whistle as well

Even the owners manual says 93 will give better performance from the turbos so it makes sense that they may be making a little more noise

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been getting 15 with 87 on the lift and tires and same driving habits as before.
I’ll try a reset and another tank.
Got a highway trip Thursday so we’ll see.

Never done 93 in this rig but other vehicles have and not seen a drop like this.
Maybe she’s just sensitive.

I have not been running my ODBLink recently. Wonder if the computer is allowing for more boost on the 93 and that is why I am hearing the turbos much more.

@16plati is a KAM reset the same as a PCM reset
Yes, however, when you remove the cables from terminal, make sure you connect them with the alligator clip and turn your headlights on. It is important to drain everything from the capacitors that keep the KAM. You can also use Forscan if you are comfortable with it or a tuner. 30-45 minutes should do it the way it’s done in the video.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How does one do it in ForScan?
There’s an option for it somewhere in the pcm as built data if I remember correctly. Havent done it in over a year as I have a tuner that does it for me in 15 secs now