Random hard shift followed by error message notice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

martin2018

Reaction score
2018 max lim.

Drove at about 50mph constant when vehicle suddenly ****** hard. Felt like a hard shift but recovered quickly. Shortly after a warning bell rang with a system fault notice - I didn’t catch the exact word while driving. Remaining 15 min of my drive went without issue.

Vehicle had been driving for 45 min so not a cold shift reaction. I’ve experienced some slight hard shifts with my Ram truck while it was learning but in this case it was almost like I hit something and passengers were like what the hell was that.

I have not had much luck with this vehicle- transmission was rebuilt 1.5 years ago after it failed and became un-drivable

I know the obvious answer is take to dealer. I will. Just curious if anyone has experienced an abnormal hard shift with an error notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's happened to me, but really only once. I was on a 6.5 hr drive, about half way through cruising at about 75 using adaptive cruising. I had to hit the gas to pass a semi going up a pass and when I got the gas (not flooring it), it literally woke my sleeping wife up. It felt like we hit a deer or something. I then had 3 different CELs over the next week or so but haven't had any since. To me it was like when you accidently shift from 5th to 3rd on a manual. Really scared us, thought we'd be stranded but just kept going.

lefty hack

Reaction score
two days ago entering the highway after a down pour accelerating but not floored. Shift System Fault felt like we hit a boulder at 30 MPH. I was 2 exits from a Ford Dealer. I stopped in and they ran a diagnostic. No fault noted :confused: I drove it 120 more miles in the high desert with no problems. No issues since.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. Once in a blue moon a random shift would just slam enough to startle passengers. And this was just gradual acceleration. Casual driving.

I don’t know what caused it. Or whether it was related to the eventual failure of the transmission. But after a couple years of progressively worse problems Ford finally replaced it.

If you are out of warranty I would sell as soon as I could while it still drives mostly normal.