Read the small print..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the magic number for lift when you need to start changing your drive shafts and so on.
Im use to Cherokees where when you hit 3” of lift and above you should start replacing track bars, control arms, drive shafts…

What’s that number for a 99 expedition?

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't done anything major.... have 6" fabtech with 3" body and 2" TT with spacers in the rear and nothing done, soon gears when i can save some money, and with my old 97 f150 with same setup just add-a-leafs instead of coil spacer and running 38x15.5 swamper TSLs didn't do anything to driveshaft.... and only things changed came with the lifts... i've always used fabtech and street performance body lifts on both fords and zero problems.... wheeled hard and driven daily no problems and my old F150 is still around town being beaten every weekend in the mud with now about 150xxx miles.... if that helps any....

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
It depends on your truck. If it's all wheel drive, then most of the lift manufacturers say that their lift won't work. The others all say to make sure that you have the CV style rear driveshaft (3 u-joints total) or you could have vibration issues.

When I was comparing kits, it seemed that all of the quality, name brand lifts were very complete and didn't require you to start swapping out a bunch of additional parts to make them work correctly.

If I hadn't ended up buying a truck that was already lifted, I would have gone with the Fabtech or Race Car Designs kit. (may have had to flip a coin to decide)

OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeap, mine is all wheel drive but just made a mod to have 2 wheel only. I was into jeeps for years and it seemed to always have a catch to adding anymore lift after 3"s. but I got away with a lot running 7" without all the other mods.