Real world differences between the Limited and Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greensha

Reaction score
We've been looking at 2020 Expeditions and my wife really likes the look of the Stealth package on the Limited. This is not available on the Platinum. How big a difference does the extra HP and torque make for the Platinum? And is the active sound cancelling on the Platinum noticeable? Are there any other factors to take into account?

Thanks!

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't forget the massage seats in the Platinum. :)

Also, I think even with the Ebony interior the headliner is still the light tan color.

Those things did not concern me. I went the Stealth way and am very happy with my decision.

If you want every single bell and whistle, then go with the Platinum.

If you like the looks of the Stealth and the added items in the Platinum and not deal breakers, then go with the Stealth.

I just had my 1 year anniversary with mine and after 14,600 miles, I am as happy or happier than the day I brought it home.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, remember the power difference is just a difference in the factory tune, no physical differences.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We've been looking at 2020 Expeditions and my wife really likes the look of the Stealth package on the Limited. This is not available on the Platinum. How big a difference does the extra HP and torque make for the Platinum? And is the active sound cancelling on the Platinum noticeable? Are there any other factors to take into account?

Thanks!
You might read through this thread:

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/expedition-limited-vs-platinum.34434/

FWIW, I have a Platinum and am glad I do. Light headliner vs black, brushed nickel exterior trim pieces instead vs chrome, nicer leather, and massaging seats made the upgrade worth it to me. Would the Ltd have been fine? Yup. Am I glad I paid up for the Platinum? Also yup.

Shutterbug57

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It all depends on what you want. If you like all the gadgets the Platinum has, go for it. If you prefer fewer gadgets and don’t want a sunroof, get the Limited. I went with the Limited and there are “features” that I tried to not get, but that was not possible even when ordering the vehicle build. For instance, I did not want an automatic rear door - must have it. As I feared, it would, it has a mind of its own and will frequently open on its own initiative. I have learned not to get the key within 3’ of any door for about 10 seconds after getting out of the truck or, sometimes the rear door will pop up. This is a problem in garages.

Last edited:

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Added HP and torque you won’t feel, and if you do it’s probably placebo. The car is plenty quick as is and as someone mentioned, get it tuned for $600 or whatever and you’ll have 450-500hp.

There’s also the Special Edition. It’s pretty much the same as the Stealth but lacking blacked out everything (you do get the black 22’s. They offer a discount for it as well so you get all the 302a features cheaper than what you’d pay if you went with a regular limited 302a (which is pretty much a fully loaded Limited). Plus it includes the heavy duty tow package standard.

You can also find the medium stone interior (can’t do that with Stealth) which is what I wanted as my number one priority was I didn’t want black interior.

Someone on this forum told me about this not so well known package and I went out and found a used 2019 Special Edition and grabbed it up.

But, the lighter color interior on the Platinum looks a lot better than the Limiteds medium stone, I just wasn’t willing to shell out that much more for some additional features that I didn’t really value.

Overall, I have zero regrets not getting a platinum and am going in tomorrow to get a quote for a chrome delete to pretty much make my car look like a Stealth but with the lighter interior color.

I think for you and your wife, the color / leather / overall look is probably something to consider more than the 25hp and noise canceling. Get a Limited 302a, 303a (stealth), Special Edition or King Ranch and you’ll get nearly all the platinum features and potentially save a few bucks.

Last edited:

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where I live I can’t really use the power I have, so 25 more wouldn’t be noticed. The few on ramps where I can let it eat would go by how much quicker, a tenth of a second?

Suvguy

Reaction score

Thanks!

We looked at the Platinum and the maxed out Limited. Only a slight difference in price. We didn’t want black interior and the deal breaker for us was the super light “ceramic” leather in the interior with black carpet.

We choose a limited with the tan interior and expresso carpets. It’s pretty spec’d out and we are really loving it.

So if you want the stealth package... humble suggestion...get a limited with all the options...LEDs everywhere, pano sunroof, heavy duty tow, nicer suspension, you get the point...

You’ll miss out on the massage seats and some add’l HP and some other bells and whistles that we really didn’t care about.

And as previous poster said, You can always tune it for more HP.

You can’t go wrong. It’s a beast of a ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It all depends on what you want. If you like all the gadgets the Platinum has, go for it. If you prefer fewer gadgets and don’t want a sunroof, get the Limited. I went with the Limited and there are “features” that I tried to not get, but that was not possible even when ordering the vehicle build. For instance, I did not want an automatic rear door - must have it. As I feared, it would, it has a mind of its own and will frequently open on its own initiative. I have learned not to get the key within 3” of any door for about 10 seconds of getting out of the truck or, sometimes the rear door will pop up. This is a problem in garages.

FYI, I had a Platinum Max and did not like the rear hatch sensitivity either so I searched YouTube for a video on how to remove antenna, it was like 5 min. no error codes and solved the issue entirely.

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might read through this thread:

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/expedition-limited-vs-platinum.34434/

FWIW, I have a Platinum and am glad I do. Light headliner vs black, brushed nickel exterior trim pieces instead vs chrome, nicer leather, and massaging seats made the upgrade worth it to me. Would the Ltd have been fine? Yup. Am I glad I paid up for the Platinum? Also yup.

2nd massaging seats if you travel any distance beyond 1.5 hours. I drive to Pittsburgh occasionally from the Atlantic coast and it was nice to get the legs moving while still moving along. But that is just one man’s opinion. In end it is really how you and wife feel.

as other state lots of roads down travel down and really can’t go wrong with any, just be looking at different scenery if you will.