Real world experience in urban environment (e.g. parking)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aleks

Reaction score
Just placed order for 2019 Limited. One nagging concern is the size of the beast... What are people's experiences in urban environment (e.g parking, navigating traffic)? Any bad stories of not being able to find parking or having to egress through trunk?

Other than car's width - it stacks amazingly well against most other full/mid-size SUVs.

Thank you

Regan DeMello

Reaction score
I like the park assist feature, takes some getting used to but it puts you between the lines. I haven’t had to hunt around too much for spaces but it takes a little more looking than my smaller car

2018 Expedition Limited
Special Edition Package
301A
Heavy tow
Cargo package

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No parking problems for me. The expy is very flingable and the sensors are very generous with space. The park assist is great when needed and wrks well. Only big issue is the front end is a bit harder to place since theres no corner points on the hood.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parking isn’t difficult at all (no sensors, steering assist, buzzers, or any of that nonsense needed) I’m assuming you mean size and driveability wise not computer nannies like most of the users here are posting. Most people I know disable a lot of that crap anyway. One shouldn’t drive a vehicle they cannot park by their own skill because all that breaks. I’m not a fan of the computer nannies, example being advancetrac, you know when my truck thinks it can drive better than me and applies brakes at an innoportune time......thanks ford. Also think you mean probability of not finding a spot physically big enough. That’s rare, almost always will find a spot to fit in. And as I’ve said these trucks react very well to your steering inputs and there are very few if any blind spots. Easy to parallel park in the city due to the good visibility and steering inputs.... shouldn’t be much of a challenge, standard wheelbase units are even easier. Enjoy your new ride hope to see you on here and posting pics when you get it.

Last edited:

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No issues here in Seattle, although we're in an area in the city with single family homes and mid-rise (6-8 story) construction and not in the skyscraper forest. I find it's actually a lot easier to parallel park than our Odyssey just due to the little guide lines (that move with the wheel) imposed over the rear camera display. Getting the doors completely open is a bit more of a challenge than in the Odyssey. :) And the turning radius is actually surprisingly good. That said, as dlcorbett stated, the front is a bit of a guess without the front parking sensors.

Last edited:

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Much easier to park and maneuver than my F-350 super crew w/ 8ft bed.

Wish the mirrors were larger, the trucks and their trailer-tow mirrors kinda spoil you. Larger mirrors should be an option and/or included with the HD tow package.

Pretty used to driving larger vehicles so no big deal here. As per the usual, and a bit more so with the long wheel base (Max) configurations, some inner-city parking lots, and especially parking garages, can be a problem. I avoid parking garages unless I’ve been in them before or can scope them out first. Have never had a mishap myself, but I’ve seen some where the Expy will be just fine based on the specified height, only to find that it would hit the ceiling when going up or down some internal ramps. You’ve probably been in parking garages where there’s noticeable ceiling scuffs and gouges over ramp sections.

Got ticketed in Albuquerque a year ago in my F-350 when I was downtown parked at a meter. Even though I was pulled up to the bumper of another car and my front license plate was a couple inches past my meter, my rear was hanging too far into the next parking space behind me, leaving no space for another car. ...There’s a couple sections that are tightly spaced like this. See it in Denver, Phoenix, etc.. But my ‘18 Expy Limited Max is 30” shorter than my F350, so probably wouldn’t be a problem most of the time.

Overall very easy with all the sensors and cameras. The 360 camera is actually quite useful! And I have yet to use the park assist other than to try it out. Usually in the moment, I forget it’s there. And generally speaking all those sensors/cameras are not needed after you drive it a bit and have a feel for where all your bumpers/corners are. It’s very easy to drive and park.

Regan DeMello

Reaction score
Parking isn’t difficult at all (no sensors, steering assist, buzzers, or any of that nonsense needed) I’m assuming you mean size and driveability wise not computer nannies like most of the users here are posting. Most people I know disable a lot of that crap anyway. One shouldn’t drive a vehicle they cannot park by their own skill because all that breaks. I’m not a fan of the computer nannies, example being advancetrac, you know when my truck thinks it can drive better than me and applies brakes at an innoportune time......thanks ford. Also think you mean probability of not finding a spot physically big enough. That’s rare, almost always will find a spot to fit in. And as I’ve said these trucks react very well to your steering inputs and (at least on the 3rd gen) there are virtually no blind spots. Easy to parallel park in the city due to the good visibility and steering inputs.... shouldn’t be much of a challenge, standard wheelbase units are even easier. Enjoy your new ride hope to see you on here and posting pics when you get it.
I like how you talk down on everyone that uses park assist before explaining how superior you are

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like how you talk down on everyone that uses park assist before explaining how superior you are

Not superior to anyone, the user asked about difficulty finding spots for the Expedition to fit in, difficulty parking, and navigating traffic. All he got was a bunch of people talking about cameras and assist.....offering him something else. I even keep the backup sensors silent on my trucks.....just how I am, I know weird right? While the enhancements are useful and great they don’t always work or even always get used by the driver. Sorry my little joke in there offended you...

Last edited:

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My biggest worry with parking is people dinging my doors. I’ve easily fit into every space I’ve attempted and with the killer turning radius parallel parking isn’t bad.

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm used to an F150 with a 12" longer wheelbase than my max.

No issues so far, but I tend to like to walk and try to find the furthest spot. Still have to back into spots the there isn't much room between rows.

The sensors on my F150 stopped working, so I have gotten used to not having them. Getting them back makes it so much easier.

The Expy feels bigger than my F150, but I am sure I will get used to it. Only 600 kms so far.